What was the best time and money saving tip you discovered by your self.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Jun 27, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

We all started out new to the business some where. Did you ever have a thought that just popped into your head one day when you where working and you dont know why you didnt think of it before? Like say they way you held a weedeater, or the way you covered you route, the order in which you mowed a lawn or lawns, the way you billed, ect...... These would be things you do to this day because they just work so well.

One of the best ideas that dawned on my thick head one day was to always carry a full set of wrenches and sockets, along with a good asortment of tools in a rubberized plastic tool box that will protect them from the rain. Now I carry two sets. A brand new craftsment set that are always in my truck, and my older set of craftsman and other various tools that gets unloaded into my garage every night.

2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i had something like that. Back in the day i used to overlap a lot when mowing, one day i looked at another guys stripes and noticed you can see the tire marks on each pass, they didn't overlap exactly like my did, i stoped overlaping as much as i did and drasticly reduced my mowing time.

3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

What was the best time and money saving tip you discovered by your self.

Hiring Employees !
    Buying lots of extra spools for the trimmer
    Buying a BIG trailer

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

some of my cost-effective things:

1. Coroplast/metal job-site signs. they landed a lot of work in area's i already service. payed for MANY times over.

2. changing my route. i used to work from closest to farthest so i could sleep a little later. now i start at the farthest account and work towards home. I don't double back to hit accounts either. time is money! take traffic into consideration as well if applicable.

3. using the right tools for the job. commercial backpack blowers + hedge clippers dramatically reduce time. I just bought a 60" gravely, I'm saving on average 1hr 45min PER DAY! with this new tool. this is only applicable if you have larger lawns to make use of the higher speeds and bigger swath. one account actually takes me longer with the Z than with the 50" WB because of all the turning and objects to go around.

10 Cu FT wheel barrows greatly increase efficiency while spreading mulch. you're moving more than 1/3 of a yard at a time!

Keep a shovel, hand pruners, ratchet straps, chain, etc all in the truck or trailer. the less trips you need to make to complete a job the better.

5. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

got a ferris is 3000zx and cut 1-2 hrs per day mowing. my last ztr had the same width cut and hp the suspension is what makes all the differnce in the world

6. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

I always like to keep sharp, spare blades on the trailer in case I hit something, but they always got rusty before I needed them.

Now after I sharpen the spare blades I spray a coat of flat black paint over the sharpened edge before putting them on the trailer. No more rusting and the edge stays sharp!

7. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I mounted my leaf loader to my trailer. This made unloading leaves easy and now my mower and other tools can ridev on the trailer when the bed is full of leaves.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My B7500 kubota tractor. Cut snow plowing time in half, so I now have twice the accounts. Cut time on mulch job down by 60 percent. Much faster at any construction project moving materials over a wheel barrow. I can't wait until I get a hoe for it.

My neary 410 blade grinder. Cut grinding time down to almost nothing. It beats the bench grinder.

And of course my Wright standers. Way faster than my old walkbehinds. Wouldn't run anything else because of the time they save.

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Put a 110 gal fuel tank with electric pump in the bed of my truck. I rarely have to stop for fuel. Plus my diesel truck has a 34 gal fuel tank in it and I only fuel that up about every week & a half to two weeks.

10. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Wrap your grass gobbler ( catcher ) in sheet metal so you are not coverd in 2 minutes with dirt when you engage it.

Double check eveything before you leave, ESPECIALLY trailer lights. The cops can tell if your lights where working when you were rearended.

Use trailer tires on a trailer. Car tires are not designed to take the weight or turns like a trailer tire.