What was the single most important factor to expand your business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandscapeSolutions, Aug 25, 2005.

1. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

Just a simple question for you seasoned LCOs out there....what would you say was the most important thing that you did or happened that allowed your company to expand greatly? (If you have other great ideas feel free to list them.)

Just curious to see what responses I'll get.......

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

the time I stopped bagging grass clippings and went into mulching and side discharging certainly got me out of the crappy bust ya butt jobs and into the easier more profitable jobs.

another thing that has been good is get in with a real estate agency, this really works, and now I save $50 a week in less effective newspaper advertising. An get only positive leads, not running around after price shoppers wasting my time.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Referral Program.

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

What does your referral program consist of Rod?

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A nice letter that goes out each March to all of our customers (maint, fert, snow plowing, Fall & Spring cleanups, etc.) with one of our company brochures and a couple of business cards for them to give to prospective clients.

Company brochure (tri-fold, heavy gloss stock) details says a little about us and lists all of our services. Letter details what the referring customer will receive and what the new client will receive as well for their choosing, as well as some highlights from the past year.

It must work. We have never advertised in 11 years now...Yellow Pages, newpaper, flyers, etc. Nothing.

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Development of internal talent that can manage accounts free of your handholding. This means from an operational point of view, that someone can manage a crew or crews, train and follow up on the work of underlings, status of properties, monitor equipment use and needs and give you accurate information boiled down for quick use. Without that, you will always be limited to what you can personally do in a day with people that you are personally watching.

7. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

For me, it was the starting of a salesman. I had enough equipment and manpower, but my people skills are not good.

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Labor, without a doubt, in fact I'm also down to a solo status at this point. Can't even find bad help, I've all but given up on finding good help.

9. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

Returning phonecalls

10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Probably for us it was doing a good job,the same day of the week, week after week,no lame excuses why we weren't there. Name and phone number on the truck!!!! The little ole lady network can land you many smaller jobs. Then after that I think it became word of mouth,you never know who knows who_One other advantage we have is that my biz partner is female and is very knowledgeable in all aspects of our business and that makes our customers feel very comfortable talking to to her, people don't feel intimidated by her,vs a cigar smoking,beer gut, sweat pants and no shirt hairy guy.