What was your average price for mowing last year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skorum03, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

How many stones? The flat ones are easier until they settle and become harder to edge.

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I guessed - NOW we're talkin!! :cool2:

3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Tread lightly. What seems like great money to be making turns into small time quick if you don't know how to manage a business. In other words, don't let the "size" of the money impair your judgement on bidding job correctly. You think it's to good to be true that you can make a lot of money on a given job so you wind up bidding it too low. Basically I'm saying, don't leave money on the table. Don't expect to get every bid you place. If you do, you're pricing them too low.

4. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that makes sense. Today I am going to look at like 7 smaller residential properties in St. Paul and I'm seriously doubting any of these places will have much of a yard. Some of them may only take 5 minutes to do. How do I bid on something like that. Its a little bit of a drive for me to get to the places that I have to mow, but they are all within about a mile of each other so I could zip through them pretty fast. But since it is a longer drive is it worth it for me to bid a little higher and say, if I get it great, if not, I can get more work thats worth more money closer to home?

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

5. Giovanni Giacomucci

Giovanni Giacomucci LawnSite Member
    from PA

$39.00 without fuel cost

6. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you!!! My point exactly.

7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Average is $68

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta build the travel time into the prices. However, when I was first starting out I pretty much ignored travel time, willing to work anywhere I could and hope that I'd pick up other accounts from friends/neighbors in the immediate area. I'll still take an account a bit off the beaten path and might even give them a really attractive price, if and only if I think it's an exceptional opportunity to get a foothold in a desirable location. I consider it a marketing expense, although it's technically not.

9. Southscapes03

Southscapes03 LawnSite Member

Dude, I couldn't even begin to tell you how many stones:), but it grows every week it seems!!!! This is one of the only field without any stones on it on the property, but the rest of the property is striped just the same.

DSC_0683_zps92fa23ce.jpg

DSC_0696_zpsa69ac6eb.jpg

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

^^^ Looks good Thumbs Up