1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What Was Your First Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Feb 17, 2005.

1. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

I started out with a 38" murry that I rigged a lowes bagger on it. I hated that thing it wouldn't bag good. It kept gettin clogged. I sold it to a guy I know. 2 weeks after he had to rebuild the tranny. It was wore out!
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

21 inch Sensation Professional with the flip handlebar and 3.5 HP briggs.
  3. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

I started off with a 21" snapper and moved up to a dynamark rider
    I would drive it 3 miles to mow the chevy dealer.
    My first real mower was a 36" bunton (1984) with a 8hp.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

started with an 52" exmark tthp and a 32" exmark metro in 2000.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when I first started off, I had my dad's snapper home owner lawn mower. Ah, those were the days.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My very first mower as a kid was a Craftsman push behind reel mower with the open bag catcher on the back.

My first mower that I used commercially in the business was a Toro 42" garden tractor.
    Did it hold up? The definate answer is not for commercial use. I liked it because it was new and I was making money but I only had a few customers. Once things grew the tractor was just plain worn out. The motor was good but all the rest of the parts were worn. After 2 years of what would now be considered mild use it was time for commercial. I went with Walker and a Toro commercial WB. My advice for anyone that is serious in the business is to buy commercial from the start.
  7. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

I remember those had a minibike like that. Did anyone use the push mower that had a handle on top. You would flip the handle out, crank it up. I think you would hit a button and it was suppose to start. It was suppose to be easy. What a pos. it did have a deck wash on it.
  8. Classic Lawn

Classic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My first a Scag 48'' wb belt drive its great i also have a 52'' scag wouldnt use anything else
  9. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

It was a Lawnboy (still have it too) cira. 1974 and a IH Garden Tractor with trailer. String trimmers were just coming out then and I had a hand held Black and Decker battery powered hand trimmer.

The Lawnboy is white (dirty white LOL) and still runs to this day.
  10. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

36 in exmark metro. Belt driven with a sulky. Best mower for the dollar I could have bought. And like everyone else I still got it.