What was your motivator?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Landscapes-r-us, May 17, 2006.

1. Landscapes-r-us

Landscapes-r-us LawnSite Member

When you first started your business?
    Mine was family that doubted me. They said they knew I could easily do it, but chances are I'd get bored or give up too soon.

Well, I didn't and I'm very proud of myself for it. See, I've "tried" things before and do get pretty bored but this is something I enjoy. I have 45 accounts and could easily have double but stop accepting accounts and now do the regulars during the week and landscape and side jobs on the weekends and soon on Fridays as well. I'm 22 and looking to buy my first house. It's a great feeling and you can really make some $$ in this business as long as you stay motivated, do a good job, don't lowball, it will just bite you in the end when you start charging $25 for a $35 job, so everyone ends up charging $25, then what are you gonna do, charge $15?
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey man I know what you mean. I had always tried things and then gotten bored and moved to something else but i'm hoping this is something I can stick with. My motivation is I moved out for the first time and I need money lol. I also want to have a good quality self sustaining business that I built and this has the possibility of doing that.

Good luck
  3. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

my reason(prob not a good one) was i started hating my regular job.(ford auto. tech.)still doing both, but not for long.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

A little O/T but did you work at the ford plant in oakville?

5. jhsmith4

jhsmith4 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I enjoy making lawns look great! Really enjoy spending other peoples $$ Too! I decided to get back into this business back in Nov. things were slow, but has turned around. I could easily work OT at my Civil Service job, and make good $ without the hard work and sometimes headaches. This is my change-up position. Having FUN!!
  6. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

12 years of working for an a-hole boss. Made him a ton of money, missed 6 days of work in 12 years. Never late, always early. Asked for a friday off to take a trip out of town one time.

His reply: "Don't make a habit of it."

My reply: "You can believe I won't."

Purchased my business license when I got back in town. Got a WB mower, edgers and trailer in one package. I am using my client base for my boss as a client base for my mowing business.

My goal is 45 accounts and then I will give him the Dear John. I will probably do it at 40 though.

I mow after work and on Saturday.
  7. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

I started helping out some family, by doing their lawns, ( yes, they paid me ), then neighbors started asking about me, next thing I know, I am doing about 10 lawns, with my full time job. I went and got my license and certification when I started doing lawns other than my family, and decided to make a business out of it, since I am already an operations manager for 4 different service oriented companies, this one, I am just owner/operator. 2 years later I am up to 20 accounts, and I had to slow it down, just mowing on weekends and nights. Crazy, but people noticing my quality of work, and wanting to pay me to do theirs is motivation for me.
  8. yankeesdood16

yankeesdood16 LawnSite Member

Whats motivating me is that I like to do lawns and seeing people drive by with the trailers with all the equipement in the back makes me think how much I want to be like them someday with all the better equipement and everything. Now I just use a regular mower and a somewhat cheaper blower and string trimmer.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Ah, the same as any other business--- Money
  10. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

no, i`m in a small town dealership in the shop.