What way should i pay my employees?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nickpappapump, Feb 23, 2009.

1. nickpappapump

nickpappapump LawnSite Member

I have been paying by the job. What is the best way?

Thanks in advance
    Nick

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Be careful paying by the job.

It is legal however:

1. Make sure you still track their hours
    2. You have to make sure that their pay for the day equals at least the minimum wage plus overtime if applicable.
    3. Make sure it is done as a w-2. You cannot 1099 employees.

Other than that youre ok

3. nickpappapump

Whats a better way to pay them though?

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I think we need a little more info. Do you only use these guys once in a while? If they are truly employees they need to be paid hourly. The labor laws are very specific. You also can't make them salaried either by law. Paying by the job implies you are treating them as sub-contractors, another legal no-no. If you are trying to get around labor laws you are playing with fire, as one call from an employee and you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

And I just caught you are only 17. legally you can't have employess.

5. nickpappapump

they are friends and we were just cutting a few lawn in the neighbor hood and we were spliting the money so they arent employees iam starting to make a real lawn business now.

Where does it say iam 17?

6. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Don't get your friends involved TRUST ME!

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I personally pay hourly, sometimes you gotta stay on the guys to get work done, but I feel it is the easiest and fairest way for everyone.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Most of them will probably prefer money.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

if you are just starting to get real as you say then Pay them hourly and weekly with a check drawn on US funds.

10. nickpappapump

ok what do you think I should pay them hourly starting out on all residental? and once in a while commercial lawns iam probably only going to have one employee at a time. and they will be going back and forth doing different jobs switching with me.