What way should i pay my employees?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nickpappapump, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

doesen't matter if you are doing res or com pay them the same rate. write a business plan have someone help you do that, I don't know your set up so I can't comment of your rate of pay, the landscaping and grounds care industry is going to take a massive dive this season so I suggest you carefully think about what you can afford to pay. a possible suggestion is Don't hire help right away work solo.....

2. FairGreen Inc.

FairGreen Inc. LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Think about what money you have coming in and what your expenses are, and like Stillwater said, think about what you can afford to pay. Keep in mind, your the "owner" of the company, if you end up making just as much as your "employees" then you might want to re-consider how much you're charging (maybe it's too low?) or that you're paying the employee too much.

However, Judging from what you told us. A few lawns?

What do you need an employee for? ? ? Cut your expenses and think about hiring someone when you have enough work to do so!

3. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Depends on persons expierence, drive, dedication, attitude etc... I would go solo from just the little info you provided, but if you do need help, I would pay anywhere from 8-15 dollars per hour. Just make sure they are worth the headaches that come along with employees. Good Luck

4. EagleGrounds

EagleGrounds LawnSite Senior Member

I second that! I have been stiffed a couple times by friends! Mow alone or with someone you dont know what so ever!

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have a REAL mess on your hands.....

6. nickpappapump

nickpappapump LawnSite Member

ok thx last year i had 9 customers and and me and my friend was doing 30min each and i was paying him $5 bucks a job and depending on how much stuff to do on the other lawns i would pay him $10 a lawn i think iam going to pay them by the hour

7. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree:hammerhead:

8. FairGreen Inc.

FairGreen Inc. LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Yup, leave your friends at home.

Or else you'll loose them.

9. nickpappapump

nickpappapump LawnSite Member

ok thx for the help.

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Pay them as little as possible.
    Why would you need help with 9 "accounts"?