1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What Wb Mower Do U Recommend?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweatdog20, Mar 2, 2002.

1. sweatdog20

sweatdog20 LawnSite Member

Im in the market for a walk behind mower, I already hane a 1998 Walker and need a walk behind for certain properties. Need something fairly cheap and strong
  2. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

As most here will tell you, never sacrifice price for quality. If you can't afford a good machine then you should consider financing. Scag would be my opinion, as a matter of fact they just sent me a advo in the mail that a 36" w/a Kawi for $89.00 per month, no money down, no payments for 4 months, and no interest for 3 months, and if you pay off the machine before the 3 months is over theres no interest at all! Can't beat that deal, not to mention that financing is deductible. This way you can make some $$$$ before actually paying for the machine.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag, Bunton, Bobcat, Exmark....Scag & Exmark are going to cost you a little more but if thats what you want they are worth it...the names I had just told you are peices that are tough and will last you a while. If you could spare the extra dollars go Hydro just got my first hydro the other day and I will never by gear drive EVER again. The thing is smoothe . The other day I was next door to another LCO that had a 3 man crew. The lawns are within 100 sq. feet of size of each other. I took only 3 minutes longer than that crew to finish and that could possible be because im still getting used to a hydro mower. But to mow,trim,edge,blow I was only 3 minutes off of a 3 man crews time I was so suprised. They were using the same mowers as me they had 2 going at the same time though !!!
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Do you want to bag? Will you be on many slopes? Do you have to factor in gated entrances? If not, look at the Snapper. Their low priced, belt drives are dependable.

If you are looking for a more significant back up to that Walker then the others mentioned are great choices.

5. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

This is like rubbing a post with catnip and not expecting the cat to go after it.

Gravely now makes a world-class robust fast walk-behind.

Along with a 2 year no questions asked warranty and the best cut in the industry you may want to consider checking them out.

Besides that double blades are a inexpensive add-on accessory from Gravely.

www.gravely.com will give you a sneak peek.

Happy shopping!

Ariens/Gravely Guy
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sweatdog- We can argue forever about what's the best mower, just like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge. I agree with the guys above that you should pick the right machine for the job, but as far as the brand, find a dealer/mechanic you like and go with THEM. A good dealer will stand behind the machine and have parts ready when you need them. I have a guy I use, and I basically buy along the lines he sells, and most of the time he will repair the machine while I wait. They appreciate that I buy all my machines there, and they take good care of me. So don't get too crazy worrying about the brand name. Just my .02 Mike
  7. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

Fairly cheap will COST you in the long run plus resale is zero on cheap mowinr. Check out the new Gravely Pro G and Pro H I've got he older Pro 150 and its very well built and easy to adjust cutting height, solid mower I'll never get rid of it.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I will soon purchase a 32" WB myslef. I looked at the Gravely's a couple of weeks ago (for the 1st time) and was impressed! I think the dealer was running a special $2000, but ends this weekend.

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'd love to have a Gravely, but he's 30 minutes away and does not have any other turf equipment for rent or sale. On the other hand, there is a very significant shop 5 minutes from my house that sells Bobcat, Walker and Snapper just to name a few. He's offered me a 48" Bobcat geardrive with Kawasaki 15 for $2400. He's having an open house soon and I'm sure I can get it cheaper. One very important point to me: He will loan me a mower if mine is in the shop and he has ALL the other tools for rent or sale. I'm just a newbie and maybe it's a mistake, but I'm going with the Bobcat dealer mostly for convenience. (I really do like all the Gravely's esp.the 260)
  10. The only problems with wb is .The cheap ones dont last at all. You get what you pay for. The top WB I would say in no particuler order would be .Exmark,Ferris,Hustler,Gravely. Those four are the cream of the top.Scag you could do a whole research on threads with them. The biggest problem with going cheap is that there is so much to go wrong. Do a research on this there will be lots of threads on this