1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What We Say Vs. What We WANT to Say

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Jun 30, 2003.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, man! I am soooooo sick of having to watch what I say so closely in front of my customers! I am definately going to pursue more commercial accounts.

Here are some examples:

- One customers kid whacks me on the head with a rake from the deck as I walk by with the trimmer.:angry: Later, the father tells me that he and his wife are seperated but that they "have two great kids". I say, "you sure do". I want to say, "That little S&*T son of yours will have to pull my foot out of his arse if he hits me again!".

- Another customer has a nastly little "ankle-bitter" named "Freeway". They always let him run out the front door where he spends the next three to five minutes attached to my sock as the homeowner makes small talk with me. :mad: She says, "Isn't he just the cutest little thing?". I say, "he sure is". I want to say, "Freeway is about to live up to his name as I tie him to the 80 mile marker on the Turnpike!"

The list goes on, and on! I'm just venting, I guess! Sorry!

I know you all know what I'm talking about, don't you?
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I love it when I'm talking to a client and their dog is jumping on me, scratching me and hitting me in the b***s with it's paws. The client does nothing to stop the dog. I want to say, "please get your dog off of me before I shoot it", but I just smile and pet the dog and try to push it away.
  3. Sorry, I tell them.

Sorry mam, you dogs not so cute biting my ankle.

There are time I bite my tounge, but there is no need to lie about it.

If a kid hit me in the head with a rake, he will get covered in grass clippings while blowing that deck off. Oops I didn't see him.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

thats right, i dont take any **** from anyone bigger than me, i sure aint takin it from someone smaller. i would knock on the door, tell them cage your child, and your dog, and no one gets hurt.
  5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby- LMAO :p :laugh: :laugh:
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

AL Inc,

Next time that dog jumps one you. Lift your knee into its belly. I've done that lots of times and that usually stops them from doing that to you. You don't have to knee them hard to make it effective. Usually one time is all it takes and then they remember. Maybe you have tried that but I know thats what works for me.
  7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

This is true. I was told to do this by a couple people. Just pull your knee up and the dog gets the hint that I am hurting myself.
  8. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

A easy going even tempered guy like myself ,would not have a problem comeing to a UNDERSTANDING with my the cilent's mean kids and unruley dogs.
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Not me. I'm brash and quick to fly off the handle, and that kinda stuff is just more **** I don't need to put up with. One client I have has neighbor kids that are always bugging me, getting in the way when I'm mowing, etc. One day I was edging and one of the kids came out to ask me to stop it because I was making too much noise. I told the kid to beat it and he better not let me catch him around me while mowing again.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I usually let it slide once or twice, then after that I either do something, or have the customer do something. We have many of times taken a dog and chained it back up or put it back in its kennel...same with the kids:D