What weed is this?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mlong30, May 4, 2007.

1. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Hi,

Can someone tell me what type of weed this is, and how to get rid of it as quick as possible?

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Matt

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

If it weren't too early in the season, I'd say that that looks like nutsedge, either purple or yellow. If the picture is of something from last year, let me know! On fast growing weeds like this, even when I'm not 100% sure of its ID, I would use roundup in a wick wiper, if it's just a small area. Some clearer pictures would help. Get pics of root/crown area, collar areas, and seed heads, if possible.:waving:

3. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

corsair from lesco will clear your problem up.

4. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Hi Nathan,

I believe you suggested that I use a 3 way herbicide from lesco to clear up my dandelions. Is corsair similar to 3way or a different product from lesco? If a different product, can the the two be put down the same time?

Thanks.

Matt

5. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

Corsair is for grassy weeds, which is what that is. It does look similar to the sedge family. Three-way is mostly broadleaf weeds. The lesco website will allow you to look at product labels, check there. You might as well get about $2000.00 worth of specialty weed killers in your arsenal to kill all of those pesky weeds, but be for-warned you can hold all of them in one hand!!! ALL OF THEM!! good luck!

6. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

I already spent $400.00 bucks on a Lesco broadcast spreader so I'm getting close!:laugh:

7. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

I took these two days ago. I haven't cut my yard in 3 weeks since my lawnmower is in the shop. So this gives me a chance to see what I really have in my yard.

What is a wick wiper? This is all over my yard in the back, and a little in the front.

Hopefully this is better.
    [​IMG]

I have this on the side of my yard but no dandelions. Is this also a grassy weed?

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Matt

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that I get a closer look, and know that the pics are current, I can rule out nutsedge. Looks closer to canada bluegrass or a similar grassy weed. What a wick wiper is is a 6' long piece of 1" pvc plastic pipe with a tee fitting at the bottom end, with 2 2 to 3" nipples inserted into the tee. Inserted into these nipples are special end caps with rubber bushings. Inserted into both of these end caps is a special cotton rope, about 1/2 " in diameter. The idea of this contraption is that roundup solution, 1-2 % A.I. is poured into handle, and flows out the rope(wick). Rope is wet like a sponge, not dripping. You take the wiper and sweep back and forth over the taller weeds, getting the roundup on the taller weed, sparing the shorter, Desirable grass. If you are looking for one of these, suggest you try Gemplers, or A.M. Leonard. Maybe one of this site's sponsers carry them, as well.payup

9. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I am just curious, did this weed turn a fluorescent green color and stand out like a sore thumb early in the spring, before the lawn greened up??. I had something like this out on the side, and my fiancee even noticed it and asked me what that was.

10. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

Is this it?

http://www.sideswipeinc.com/

[​IMG]

Kind of pricey...