What weeds does MCCP control?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redbuckcavs, Mar 9, 2008.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

In years past I was using Trimec 992 or triplet in the spring and Fall to control weeds. These products contain 2,4 D- Dicamda and MCCP.
    This year I'm thinking about using a SPRING application of my own mixture of 2,4- D and Dicamba ( Banvel) without the MCCP.

Can any of you experts advise me if this is a good decision and if not do you "mix" your own products?------thanks in advance

P.S Our lawns contain Bluegrass and Rhygrass (Indiana lawns)

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure, but I think I have heard MCPP is particularly effective for clover. 2,4-D is not.

3. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

If Mccp main target is clover then I would be satisfied not using it. With 2,4 D and Dicamba controling most every other weed.

4. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Yes MCPP is much better than 2, 4-D at controlling clover. It also does fairly well with speedwell, spurge, chickweed, and plaintain. But like REDBUCK said 2,4-D and Dicamba also control the others. So I would say unless clover is a real issue 2, 4-D and Dicamba should do fine.

Also, clover usually is a good indicator that soil is low in N so if clover is the overwleming weed I would do a soil test and see what it finds.

5. Lawn Care Pros

Lawn Care Pros LawnSite Member

If you're looking to control clover try Drive (Quinclorac) I have not found anything that works better! (I have been told by a weed scientist that Fluroxapyr works even better than Quinclorac, but I have not tried it.)