What Weedwackers Are Best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stormchaser, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Stormchaser

Stormchaser LawnSite Member

Is there a commercial quality weedwacker that y'all use? How about engine size? I notice the local Walmart has a $70 one, 21cc, and a $100 one, 36cc (or something like that). Would either of these be adaquate, or adaquate for starting out?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

First off, never buy residential equipment. I bought a Homelite a couple years ago not knowing that I would be going into business like I am and that was kind of a mistake. Nothing has broken down on it yet as it's almost 3 years old and it still starts very easy every time. I would either get Stihl or Echo. Some people like Redmax and Shindaiwa but I keep hearing more and more about Stihl and Echo. I will be buying a Stihl for my next trimmer as well. Something else to consider is how many other services do you have and are you going to need and edger, hedge trimmer, pole pruner, etc. With a Stihl FS 85 RT (most other brands as well), you can get different attachments for one power unit instead of having 3-4 different pieces of equipment on your truck. I will most likely be getting a Stihl FS 85 RT so I can get the edger attachment and still be able to change back to a trimmer whenever possible. As for CC's. My Homelite is a curved shaft 25 CC and I've yet to find anything that will bog it down on weekly lawn trimming. I took it out and wacked 2-3 foots weeds and it didn't do too bad. I've heard that with straight shafts you get more power so a 25 CC straight shaft would most likely have a bit more power than a curved shaft. The main problem with cutting large weeds and other things is not so much the engine size, but what your cutting tool is. I also do quite a bit of heavy weed "slashing" so I will also get brushcutter blade when I get my new trimmer. Get some brochures from some different manufacturers and compare each trimmer by size, price, weight, features, etc. Then decide which is the best for you. Also factor in what kind of dealer you have for the product. You want a good dealer that will stand behind you if something goes amiss. I hope this helped a little and I'm sure this will stir up some different insights from the other guys here as well. Good luck! :)

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You get what you pay for. We tell our customers that yet I'm surprised how often cheap products are considered.

I use a Sthil FS85 and a Shindaiwa T260. The Sthil I have had for 5 year and never a single problem. I have 3 extra thread spools around which make changing a snap. I got the Shindiawa last year and havw used it some, good power I just haven't got used to it yet, I like the Sthil better.

Get a good trimmer, then get the starfire (or something like that) Echo trimmer line .095, cuts great. With proper maintenance that trimmer should give years of trouble free service.

Welcome to the forum. If you do a search on weed trimmers or wackers you will find a lot of information! Avoid the Wal-Mart line of "power tools".

Ray

4. Tropical Trim

Tropical Trim LawnSite Member

We try to avoid buying bargain priced equiptment. We have been using shindaiwa and stihl trimmers. Both of these are great machines. We tend to like the shindaiwa trimmers a little better. They seem to be easier to start,the t-230 is very fuel efficient, and the db's seem to be alot quieter. Some of my employees have been having a numbing feeling in thier hands from the stihl. Apparently the vibration levels are alot higher on the stihl. We turned those fs85's into extended hedge trimmers and use those to trim all ground cover. They work great except for the numbness. Shindaiwa T-230 for manicured lawns/T-260 for best all around?T270 for tuff grass situations.

5. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

My last Echo trimmer lasted 10 years and then I sold it in a garage sale for $25 and it was still working fine. My new one, three years old, is giving me the same fine service. I do have a Weedeater brand as a back up. It cost $70 and I've used it for two hours once. Didn't like it but it will do in a pinch.

6. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

My philosophy on weedwhackers and blowers are that they are good for maybe 3 years. We use Shidaiwa t-230s. Everyone likes them, light, good power and they seem to last for a while. If you're doing this full time,don't get too attached to your trimmer and always have 2 backups. We beat the crap out of them, use them until they blow up and get some more. Go to Shindaiwa.com and download a coupon to buy the
    t230 for 249.99 at a local dealer, this is the minimum you can expect to pay for a commercial trimmer.

7. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Echo that is 12 years old or there about. It has been used commerically for about 2 of those. The rest of the time it was used to keep the fence line clean so that might as well of been commerical too. Sthil,Echo,Robin,Redmax,Husky,the list goes on just find a dealer that you feel good about and get yourself a quality trimmer.

8. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa t-230.

9. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Give Kawasaki a look, I love mine. They have one of the highest power to weight ratio's in the industry.

10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

definetly look at a few things.

1. Commercial Quality - you'll never find it at Walmart!;) Get something thats going to last. A lot of guys buy equipment, just to get started, and they find out its all wasted money because its all broken in a year or less. Its easier and less stressful to just buy the right stuff the first time.

2. As far as the brand goes, look for something that you have a local or close by dealer for parts and any service help you may need. This will come in very handy when you need a part fast.

3. For a brand, once you find the dealers close by and see what they sell, test a few out and buy which brand you feel the most comfortable using. The one joe blow thinks is best you may hate, and the one you love joe blow might not like to use. Its all what you like!

Good Luck, Welcome to Lawnsite, and hope this helps!