What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Mar 3, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys/gals I'm having a problem!

I just scalped the lawn of a new client last week. Thursday we had a day long worth of rain. It was a pretty good down pour and it was off and on all day long. Today I went to give an estimate in the same subdivision and I notices that the rain had caused clippings from the lawn to pool up into different areas of the lawn. It really looked bad.

I did everything that was supposed to be done to the lawn. I cut it low and collected all of the clippings and hauled them away. I don't know where the clippings came from.:confused:

This account is in a prime spot. Its at the entrance where all of the residents have to pass by it. I was planning on doing little extra on the lawn to make sure its extra nice in attempts to draw in more accounts.

It also looked as if my client had tried to rake these clipping into a pile. I hate when a client has to do work in there lawn when they are paying us to maintain it.

What can be done to correct this problem? And what will you say to your client about this?

Let me know what you'll think.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I would have already taken care of it and followed up with a phone call.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If it is so thick that it clumps at all, you are cutting too low & need to either cut more frequently or raise your blades & go over it a couple times mulching it as much as possible.

4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

This is the first time I cut it and I scalped it. I was getting it ready for spring, its bermuda turf. I would not have known before now because I we dont start regular maint until next month. I dont just ride by my accounts just to check on them, maybe I should though.

What would you'll do to fix the problem with the lawn and with the client?

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

clallen,

This sorta thing happens with dormant bermuda. I've seen it happen on lawns that were not scalped too. What causes it is the dormant debris floats. When it rains considerably to where the water cascades across the lawn, it will carry the debris on to a catchpoint.

After a scalping this would be a bit worse because you leave a lot more behind that doesn't get bagged than you think.

There is really nothing you can do but go clean it up and explain that it happens with heavy rainfall.

Git-er-done.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In Texas we cut the bermuda down in the fall before planting rye. We cut it to the dirt and rake the bulk off and manually bag it. Then we run our Walker and Scag Cougar baggers over it several times and each time we pick up considerable amount, just can't pick it up on one pass.

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

is it possible it could have washed from a neighboring yard?