1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

what were you older guys paying for trucks in the 80s??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jiggz, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck getting a piece of plywood in that "truck". :laugh:

2. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

You must have been looking at a loaded Lariat with a diesel, because I can get a extended cab f-250 wide body 4x4 gas for $33,000.

I get a mopar discount so I can get a Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 gas with a snow plow prep for $37,000.

I can't remember the exact number for the Chevy, but a regular cab 8ft bed 4x4 6.0 snow plow prep was in the range of $41,000.

I checked out Tundra and they were in the high $30's as well.

I personally don't run Ford's and I never plan to.

-Michael

3. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm on my 5th red F150, having just replaced the 99 with a 2011 I found with only 6 thousand miles. You take your time, and use the internet to your advantage, and you will get a nice price. Gotta shop multiple states/dealers. As to the original question, I don't even remember what year my first truck was, let alone what I paid for it! LOL Here's the new rig.

fine pix 001.jpg

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

my dad bought a 1985 f350 long bed, crew cab, 4x4, diesel brand new for $18k we sold it I think in 03 for $8k new diesels are just unreal in price

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

plywood fits easily. just let down the tailgate and use a rope tied down to keep it from sliding out the back. :laugh:

who buys plywood these days anyways? not me. that junk costs too much lol.

6. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

In 88' I was in 8th grade. My dad bought a new 89' that year for 14k. Chevy 2500 ex cab long bed 4x2 auto plain work truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

In 1989 I bought a Ford F150 2wd auto fully loaded for $18,800 all in. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Bowhog1

Bowhog1 LawnSite Member

1985 Chevy 2500, 350..4spd, 4:10 Posi, dual fuel tanks, dual batteries, trailer package, 2 tone paint, vinyl seats...$11,500...sure do miss her.