1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WHAT were you thinking!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Uranus, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

What made you decide to go solo and cut grass FT. I was sitting here thinking about what was going through my head a few years ago when I started to set myself up to work for myself. I was so ignorant to what it takes to be an owner. I ran crews for 7 years before making the move. I was tired of making money for others and was getting burnt out being a gopher for someone else. What a wake up call to the world the move was. Never knew that so much of your gross can fly out the door like it does.

What made you make the move to quit your FT job and work for yourself.
  2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
  3. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

my family........... I make my own shedule....more time with my fishing pole........I mean my family @ my favorite stream with my fis..................I mean my family
  4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

Thats pretty much the main reason for me.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I started out solo. My dad put an ad in the paper for $10 / hour, 19 years ago for me to get a job.

I'd been up to 7 employees, and then 8 years ago, I went back to doing the work myself.

I know I'm coming at it from a different direction than the previous posters, but that's why I'm solo.

I just didn't care for having employees anymore.

I just had too much of a hassle to work with them.
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I see and hear that alot. I'm hearing that being solo or having one guy is the best way to keep the net up.

If only we knew then what we know now, it would all be different. I would have done this 10 years ago if I knew what I know now.
  7. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Same thing as above except one day the boss backed up a customer that was absolutely in the wrong and had cussed me out for no reason.

I went right out after work and got some accounts and equipment.

I will be full time this summer, solo op.

Screw working for corporate america and screw working for mom and pop. :usflag:
  8. kklein

kklein LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to make the move myself this season. I have been a CAD draftsman for about 21 years, but the last 4 years I have been doing yards in my spare time. Each year has been better than the last in terms of experience and clientele.

My existing job mirrors the comments of other people on this subject, i.e., making money for other people, being a gopher, and double standards, etc.....especially bosses that are disorganized and controlling. I just grew tired of this and decided to take the "plunge". I gave my two weeks notice and tomorrow is my last day!

Most importantly, I will be in charge of my own destiny. I feel pretty confident about the move; I have saved a sum of money and will be buying some really good equipment (Exmark 26" Metro and Hustler Mini-Z 52"). It's a little scary.............

Anyway, good luck to all who are thinking of this endeavor! And check out my website at http:/www.havemowerwilltravel.com!

Ken Klein
    Have Mower Will Travel
    Snapper Commercial 21"
    Toro Recycler 21"
    Shindawai String Trimmer
    Sears Craftsman Blower
  9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I love doing my own thing and making my own destiny, but man....
    It sucks paying the insurance
    It sucks paying the taxes
    It sucks getting phone calls on the weekends and while I'm trying to eat dinner
    And on and on....
    Spring cant get here quick enough, I need out of this house!!!!!!!!
    Sorry to rain on your post, I just got home from my accountant, it makes me wonder why I'm legit!!!
  10. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

Honestly after so many years of being crew leader, then foreman, then GM I just looked in mirror one day and asked myself if I would be satisfied having never made a go of it on my own. The answer was no so here I am.

Some days I regret it but most days I ask myself why I didn't do it sooner.