What Were You Thinking....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by etwman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread will be fun, I haven't started a thread in probably 5 years. Over time I have acquired many photos from very poor installers. Some of which I put in the back of our portfolio to illustrate to customers what makes a good contractor and what doesn't. The others I put in a file and on occassion find myself leafing through them for a good Monday morning laugh. I probably have over 100 at this point.

I'll kick this off. Last summer, while out in Montana my wife and I were driving through a town. It's not often that I make it a point to turn around and go back and take a picture of a bad project but I thought this was worth it. So with tears of laughter I actually turned the car around, grabbed the camera, and took these three. They even managed to notch the fence out around the "block" This could be the "New Urban Tumbled Wall" for 2009, Double sided of course.

Go ahead and post 'em.....If you find yourself asking what's wrong with some of these photos, you have no business being in this industry.

New Wall 002.jpg

New Wall 003.jpg

New Wall 004.jpg

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Well, at least it's not up against the rocks.

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Its a green fence. Recycled concrete and wood. hahahah

4. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

I always wondered what I could do with busted up concrete..

5. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

Here's a couple pics I took this summer. My favourite part is how they got the retaining wall against the house dead level, and the smooth flowing curves of the edging in the second pic. The choice of boulders is great too. Not sure why the gaps in the caps, I guess they didn't know how to cut them. For what it's worth these photos were taken probably a couple weeks after the work was done. I can just imagine what it'll look like a few years from now.

This is in one of the fancier neighbourhoods around as well, I don't know how someone could do this in front of their million dollar home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Geez that's ugly. At least these guys won't be your competition for very long!

7. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a set of steps I tore out and replaced about a year ago. I expected a bad footer but found no footer at all. Brick on dirt construction at it's finest!

IM000084(2).JPG

8. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

C'mon Andrew I know you have a half a hard drive full of these things....

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I do have some pics, and yes, I do show them to prospective clients. Not sure when I'll post them as we're trying to finish up a retaining wall before this next round of snow comes next week that the weather man has been mentioning.

Although, I don't think anything can compare to the recycled concrete fence-wall!

I'm wonderin WHAT YOU"RE THINKING????? Online, posting at 4:13 in the morning???

What, have you been hanging out with MRusk and now you're picking up on his habits and you're setting your alarm clock solely for the purpose of monitoring message board dialog like he does???? :hammerhead: :clapping:

10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL

C'mon Jarod, join the Green Revolution!