1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What width for a walk-behind?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fiveoboy01, May 26, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi, new member here. First off, this site is great and it's going to be a big help as me and my brother get our own lawn care business going.

I am going to be purchasing a new Ferris HydroWalk DD next week. I am not 100% sure what deck size I should buy. I am leaning towards a 48" deck, but they also offer 44", 52", and 61", depending on what engine size I get.

This will be for a mix of residential and commercial, geared more towards the residential side for now. We currently have an older Scag 3-wheel(rear steer) 61" mower if that would be a factor.

Also, does Ferris offer a velke/stand-on as an accessory? The website does not have a lot of info, and the brochure I got was pretty sparse.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

just depends on your lawns.
    i use a 36" and it works great, but you may have larger/more open ones.
    48" is a good compromise.
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I also use a couple of Snapper 36's. Perfect for me because I do have quite a bit of fenced in back yards where something bigger won't fit through. It all depends on what your targeting. Wide open = Bigger than a 36 ** Small Fenced = 36 will be good.

Good luck to you and welcome!
  4. sbc1971

sbc1971 LawnSite Member

Do you have any accounts set up now? If you do, then do they have gates or entry to the back or side yards? If the brand you choose offers a 36", I would recommend it.Anyway you already have a 61".You take one mower and your brother take the other.Just dont feel like the 48" is going to be way faster then the 36".It won't.Good Luck
  5. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Has anyone gone from 36in. down to a 32 in order to get into more yards? Most of the properties here are fenced and alot of rimes you cant get a 36 in the back yards!
  6. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I have run into that problem one time. Luckily I have a Snapper Rear Engine Rider 33" that I was able to get in there. Other than that, no issues.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If the gate isn't big enough for my machine, then I can not service that yard.

I run 48's exclusively, those 4-foot decks rule, no need for a Z, no need for a pushmower.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Since you allready have a 61'' deck, that may be the way to go, it would keep your stripes the same. On the other hand, Im not sure what size yards you mow or are in the neighborhoods you mow. One thing for sure, a small deck will work on a large property, but a large deck will not fit through a small gate. My personal favorite size is a 52''

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

since you have a large deck mower already, I'd suggest something like a 36" to get into gated yards with if need be. having two mowers of the same size for residentials, and still not being able to fit EITHER through the gate to the back yard isnt productive.
  10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

For a sulky look at the bullrider or the lesco sulkies. they both have castors so you can take full advantage of your hydro mowers turning and backing capabilities without having to worry about jackknifing a sulky and they both mount to the mower at the corners spreading out the stress on the mower and the sulky keeping it trailing straighter.