What will control asian jasmine?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wrivers, Nov 27, 2007.

1. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

I have three large areas of flourishing asian jasmine beneath some clusters of post oaks in the front yard. My goal is to remove the jasmine without harming the oaks, and to replace it with fresh mulch.

In my experience, Roundup is worthless against jasmine. Triclopyr, while mostly safe, still has some soil mobility and a half-life of around 45 days. Metsulfuron persist in the soil even longer and could be harmful, but at what rates? I'm not entirely sure if triclopyr or metsuluron will control jasmine anyway.

If I just keep mowing it, it would take forever for it to run out of energy. I really don't want to manually pull it out because the post oaks are sensitive to root disturbances, plus it would be a ginormous amount of labor.

I know there are some sharp minds here, so let's see what you folks can come up with. Thanks. Wes

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Wes: Is the asian jasmine the same as our yellow jasmine which grows wild in SC? If so, you can just pull it up. Man, if it is the same, you could train the away from the oaks and let it live as it grows so slowly. If not the same, could you post a photo for identification.
    Roy

3. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

It's not the same as your vine, which I believe is Carolina yellow jessamine. This is asiatic jasmine, which is an exotic (although widely used) ornamental ground cover and general pain in the butt. There's too much to remove it manually, plus, I don't want to disturb the root zones of the post oaks more than is necessary. I am hoping for a chemical solution to kill the roots of the vine, so I can just mow and mulch and be done with it. Thanks. Wes