what will deter deer from eating shrubs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clydesdale, Jun 30, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I am having a problem at a customer's house where the deer are eating his shrubs. I have heard irish spring soap can deter the deer. What other suggestions? thanks

2. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

I've tried many different things, and they all work for a while... then the deer get used to it and I try something new. Blood meal (dried blood) and Millorganite both work and have the added benifit of being organic fertilizers. I've also used a liquid blood concentrate (I forget the name). Galic cloves even seemed to help...

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

buckshot :p

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend with an orchard of small fruit trees the deer were getting to. He put on these sticks that clipped to the branches and supposedly had an odor of garlic. They were green and white and he bought them at a nursery in VT. They actually worked quite well and lasted for quite a period of time too.

6. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that spends countless hours a week in her yard maintaining it and upgrading it. She backs up to woods where there is a ton of deer, has 50 plus Hostas and all kind of other goodies that the deer like to eat.

I asked her earlier this season what she used to keep the deer away and she told me a chemical called Tree Guard. It comes in one gallon jugs for around $38 bucks and you do not dilute it just spray it on what you want. She also mixes in about 5 or 6 ounces of Bobex (SP) which smells terible. The Tree Guard is bitter and the Bobex is stinky so if they are really persistant they smell it first then taste it and she swears by this mixture. She says she gets both products from the local Southern States store.

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have used Tree Guard and Deer Off with great success. I have had no complaints about plants being eaten. The key to keeping the deer away is to apply every three to four weeks. I get both brands from Lesco in 2.5 gal concentrate.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have used Deer Solution with great success. Its all natural.....needs to be applied every 6 to 8 weeks I believe.

9. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i have found that 165g nosler partition ballistic points in a 30/06 caliber to be extremely effective in detering deer. they are also virtually 100% effective as a birth control method for deer.
    Happy Fourth of July. remember, it was guns and not goverment that made us free.

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My family owns a strawberry plantation and this is an age old problem for them. They have literally tried everything that they heard would work and nothing does. They've tried, Lion Manure from the zoo, sprays, rubber shotgun slugs, shot gun slugs loaded with fire crackers, loud music, wolf howling, scare-crows, dogs, none of it work (short of killing the deer, which short of slaughtering the whole herd wouldn't work anyway). The only thing that does anything is fencing around the plants you want to protect. This wasn't feasible for the strawberries cause they had too many acres and it would require an 10 ft fence, but it did work for protecting individual yard plantings.

For the strawberries it was best for them to just declare a loss each year, and kill as many as they could get away with during hunting season :)