What will iron do for you in the summer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RyanD, Jan 4, 2006.

1. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

Is there anything wrong with applying Fe in an application a few weeks before the dry season. In my area we usually have atleast a small dry season in late july and august. My thought was that the grass may keep a little better color through this time.

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Routine practice for my Fescue lawns.

Iron helps with color since you shouldn't apply N during that time.

3. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

First of all, I am taking the test in February. Can you apply too much Fe? I have been on Lesco's sight trying to plan my first season fertilizing program. When I find a formula I want for a certain app, it almost always has 2Fe or so. If I made 4 apps during a year averaging 4lbs/1000, would this be detrimental?

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

When i put down to much a long time ago it turned the grass like a blue color.

5. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

If I applied 4lbs of product 4 time during a year, would "2Fe" be too much Fe?

6. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, just becareful with the liqued irons, especially in summer, Lesco has "Feromac" and with this I usally drop my rate to 1/2 or 1/3 the lable rate in summer.............Granulars iron is alot safer to work with...............

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

the 2 is 2% of the actual weight by volume, which you'll find when you study the test, as certainly label reading and comprehesion is #1 on every state test I've ever seen. 2 % is actually a fairly low percentage in the realm of iron concentrations, just about enough to stain up your sidewalks and driveway if you're careless. There are different types of iron sources as well, with some being more prone to being tied up in certain soil situations than others and some intended for quick foliar uptake and shorter lasting results. It's important that you learn the differences, not only between the different iron types, but the variations on the primary and secondary macro and micronutrient groups as well (muriates vs. sulfates, as an example). Otherwise, you're not designing a program, you're just buying some fertilizer.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if you going liquid and just want an iron only (just a little N) use ROOTS it has only like 4%N and 10% Fe. the Feormec at lesco is 15%N and is not the best to use in the hot summer months since it's not slow release.
    my programs use iron in all apps, it's great for the spring green up as well as summer, and fall. i use 3% in all apps.

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lesco also makes a 5-10-31 w/ 10% iron which is a great summer app. The Fe will green it up without forcing top growth, and the high potassium will toughen the plant up for the dog days. You can apply to much iron, but you have to try. It will mostly just goof up the color, like John Gamba said in his post. Granular iron is a good way to go, or careful use of liquid, preferably chelated, if you use a liquid program.

10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be careful not to overapply the 5-10-31 because it has MOP.

Given that, the 5-10-31 is a good option.