What will kill all the caterpillars

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Petr51488, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Here's the story. This place that we go to upstate new york was literally infested with caterpillars. They were everywhere and killed all the leaves on the trees. Now, while i was mowing the lawn at out house in Pennsylvania i noticed them there too. There werent that many, but enough to do some damage. Is there some type of chemical that can be used to kill them, but not harm the apple trees that we have? I was thinking of buying the chemical and hooking it up to my power wash and just spraying all the trees. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

2. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Dipel works well on citrus trees, don't have many apple trees here in Florida. I would check the label for apple trees.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

orthene works great! and it has residule, and it's cheap, it just smells for a few days (the customer can not say you were not their!). you will have to check lable and see if it's ok for apple trees (i know you cant eat any fruit from ANY plants after application) www.valent.com also check out seven, it is labled for many trees as well as plants used for food production.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

The product is calle Bt (bacteriothurengesis or something like that). It is a natural bacteria.

5. teeca

their you go, and its SAFE

6. teeca

hey turfscapes.. not sure if it was you that recommended putting a section of nyons at the end of the chem lawn gun to keep it from plugging the shower head, but i tried it several weeks ago and it worked awsom! thanks

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest hiring a professional to care for your trees...It sounds like you don't have a clue...

8. Petr51488

from NJ

Your right, i dont have a clue. Thats why im asking.

9. Petr51488

from NJ

Thank You. I'll look into that..

10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

It also sounds like your not licensed to apply the products you want to apply...