What will you do different this summer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy73, Jan 23, 2008.

1. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

With the shaky economy and the housing market being what it is, I'm wondering. What will you do different this summer to ensure payment on you accounts. I'm not looking for answers like "make sure everyone signs contracts" or "have a good collection company". We all know a contract is only as good as the person who is signing it. I'm wondering if you will make everyone have a credit card on file or some other way to (almost) guarantee payment.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing the "shaky economy" has been this way for years........

where have you been living?

It started in 1980

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

The economy is fine. Same as usual.
    Don't let the media and the politicians scare you into not spending. Keep doing what you have been doing and everything will be fine.
    I am, however, (but not becuase of the "recession") billing customers in advance.

4. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I'm no economist, but the media makes it seem a lot worse than it is. This scares people to not spend, thus making the whole worse and worse.

Adam

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, that's exactly what I meant in another post talking about not liking the media and how they control everything. Same thing with elections too, and the price of oil is another one, makes me feel like what choice do we really have they just throw the crap our way and control us in this manner.

It's not just that they're reporting the news, it's the bias of it all, every single station is biased. It's so bad I got to where I started getting my news from an International news agency across the ocean... Not that they're not biased but since their political motivation is on a different track at least it's harder to see the bs lol.

I don't doubt economical doom and gloom lol but they really didn't need to shove it in my face either, it's just not helping and btw I don't think it will be all that bad, see I didn't know squat until the media had to run it off, thou some of us will probably hardly notice to be quite honest.

This thing with the media, in ways it's as bad as Communist propaganda.

6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Im with grits we have been billing a month in advance for almost 4 saesons now. 3 months is due up front when you sign a yearly contract. When you get the bill for say June on June 1st it will be for June. They are due by the 10th, $25 late fee if received after the 15th. We are very customer service oriented, if there is problem sending it in by the 10th they need to call. There will always be a few bad apples, "but hey what cha gonna due eh".

Weekly service stops after 30days of non payment.

7. colnc

colnc LawnSite Member

I also will be billing in advance to any new customers this year and to any returning customers that were late any payments in 2007. Most of my customers are the same every year and almost all pay on time, it seems to be the new ones that have a hard time keeping on track until they have gotten used to paying a new monthly bill.

8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

All new customers that sign up this year will have a CC on file or no service. Got burned on a few new ones last year. Nothing major, but just enough to push me in this direction.

9. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ride my harly more often:drinkup:

10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do I even ask.....:rolleyes: