What winterizer formulation do you use?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by mikesturf, Oct 21, 2009.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the Chicago area (KBG, rye, fescue). I put down 1 pound of N per 1,000sf in September. However I have been getting conflicting answers from suppliers and extension offices regarding winterizer. I have always used 10-1-10 (.4 pound of N per 1,000sf) in November with good results. However, I've also heard that using more N with quick release is best. What do you use and why?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Nutrients PLUS Screamin Green 16-2-3 provides N from five different sources: urea, SCU, Ammonium Sulfate, composted poultry manure and biosolids.

3. ro1207

ro1207 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

If you talk to 10 turf guys you will get 10 different responses. I have been in the Chicago turf market since 1989. 20 years ago when I worked at Chemlawn we used 46-0-0. When I was an applicator for another company in the south suburbs we always used 30% N or higher for late fall apps and very little slow release. I have been a supplier now for 10 years and always promote this type of fall program. Their are others that say low N high P & K are what you want. My personal opinion is that either way works as long as you put down something. Don't blow it off. This is the most important time of the year to fertilize. You can usually save some money by using a higher N because the bag coverage is much higher. To support my high N thinking check out this link.
    http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2009/10162009_fertilizer.html

This is from University of Purdue and is a very credible source.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Thanks ro1207. We're using 44-0-0 w/25% XCU. We apply it at a strong 3 lbs per K.

Started using XCU products since the summer of 2008. The results are excellent & long lasting. We apply it with Spyker spreaders....288's for push spreading, T3000's for ride-on's, and Spyker 220 electric spreader on a 3-point hitch John Deere 445. XCU spreads great, never any streaking, virtually no dust, and it does not cake up in humid conditions. It also stores great over the winter.

In my old ChemLawn days, we would use 46-0-0 urea at 3 lbs per K. I remember paying just $4.00 per bag right off the railroad cars.

We often find some XCU granules the following spring leftover from the winterizer app. I like a little carry over, cuz it's still working in early March. Our lawns always have nice color (except for bad mowing or drought).

Seems many Midwest landgrant universities (including ISU) recommend 1 1/2 lbs of N for the winterizer app.

Nice post - thanks :usflag:

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

1 1/2 lbs per K of actual N, so we apply the 44-0-0 at 3 lbs per K.

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious what the % is and type of n

8. EcoGreen Services

EcoGreen Services LawnSite Member

Used to use straight Urea, Now we put down Corn Gluten at 3lb-4lb/1000 now that the crab grass die off has started. (Full Service customers got 23-3-12 after Labour day). This combined with early spring Corn Gluten has worked well for us. With the Ontario cosmetic pesticide / herbicide ban, The game has changed.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I used 32-0-10 with 75% slow N this season. Got it down 2nd week of Oct. With all this rain we have gotten, the high % slow may be rendered moot as the PSCU gets burned off quicker - heck the darn stuff may not even make it to turf dormancy this season, let alone carryover to next season. Good learning lesson.

I can see my last app, for future seasons, will be VERY weather and conditions dependent on a season by season basis.

Also Larry, why 1.5 lbs N/k last app? Seems like it is alot for a single app.