what wire for light? (Honda GX620)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowisme, Nov 19, 2012.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I got the motor running good and quite sure its charging (will check at battery tomorrow)..But by looking at the wiring schematic I'm really not sure which wire if any where I can run a small led light off? Before or after rectifier/reg? It's a 20amp Honda GX620- Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, You'd be better off running a separate circuit.....

From battery pos post or battery post on starter solenoid to a 15/20 amp in-line fuse, Run to a cigarette lighter plug or toggle switch depending which style light you have (portable/mounted).

This way doesn't put any extra draw on the unit wire harness and gives full 12.5+ volts to the light.....

3. mowisme

Thanks Rob- I got 12v coming to my switch from the battery..Can I just tap into that before it gets to switch or right at switch?

4. Restrorob

What amp fuse is in the main harness ?

5. mowisme

Rob- I got a 20A in main harness just before switch. thanks

6. Restrorob

Go ahead and tie in to the switch wire, If you have any issues you can later run a separate wire if needed.....

7. mowisme

I got just a small battery and stuffed in a tight spot- So I'll try as you said- if any issues I'll go with another wire from Battery. You can see what I'm dealing with on the pic's at 'Ariens tall chute' post on the best snowblower and lawnmower forum..you can see in one of pic's the battery. Geno