1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What WON'T you mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Dec 11, 2006.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

The gas station thread got me thinking about this. What WON'T you mow? Steep hills? The ghetto?
    I said it in the other thread. No gas stations, parking lots, hud homes, or car dealerships. There are some hills I will not attempt also. What about you?
  2. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I want mow around kids...ie.playgrounds,schools...if something would happen I could'nt live w/ myself kids are to curious
  3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I will not mow in any neighborhood under $250k, or if they dont have a strong homeowners association. Weak homeowner associations dont press their residents to keep their lawns manicured, so I stay away from them.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If any job is a pain in the butt, I wont mow it...if any customer is a pain in the butt, I wont mow for them.

Thats pretty broad and includes alot of stuff: hills, ghetto-scaping, lots with rocks...etc...
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Any property with less than 75 ft of frontage, nasty hills, any property that is more than 15 minutes from my accounts, anyone who tells me what they are willing to pay, I'm on the verge of not mowing anything that I cant do with a 60" mower, and in 2007 I'm staying away from these "target neighborhoods" everyone tries to get into these and dirve the price down. There is more that I will add later
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Commericial properties without irrigation and persons wanting grass mowed on a 10 day schedule.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If I take one look at it and don't like it, I'm gone.
    I've done my time cutting yards consisting of 99% dirt and a dozen blades of grass.

Hills don't concern me much, it's hard to describe how I decide, but basically I'm through with run down lots where the owners don't care.

Has a lot to do with when I suspect that a person will never spend a dime on anything except cut the ... weeds.
    I don't so much care whether or not I get to do the improvements, it's that someone has to do something to the lawn on occasion.
    And folks who haven't touched their lawn in 10 or 15 years, they don't need me.
    That they need help, that much I'll concede...
    But whether I can help them, that is usually another story.
  8. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I will not mow for any residential lot paying less than $60 per cut. I will not cut ANY residential properties in 2008. Other than that, if it's green, I'm there.

Oh and NO friends or neighbors
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

No family or friends, I learned a lesson not to work for anyone that works for my wife. No condos- I'm not going to the the lowest bidding wh0re for a year.
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Asphault, trees, buildings. other than that I love the dirt lots. still get paid to show up. I will mow just about anything if the price is right. What I use to mow it is a different story.