What worked for you last year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike payne, Feb 6, 2004.

1. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

I have been working on my income taxes all day and I am trying to see what was profitable last year. What worked for you? What did not work very well? What are you going to change for next year? I know that is a lot of questions, but I believe that you must always look at ways to improve. Thanks

2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

leaf jobs are my least profitable. we use 3-4 guys, 60"j.d. poc w/attchmnt, billygoat push blower(badass), and backpacks. load the leaves on tarps and then into trailer, unload trailer at dump. in all our years of doing business, we have paid the least attention to our leaf equipment and processes. might not be the year, but i want to get a dumping bed and vac.

3. pap4464

pap4464 LawnSite Member

Charlies, once you get that set up I bet leaf removal because one of your most profitable. I just purchased a 1 ton dump this past year and increased my sales 41% over '02. Curbside vacuuming is where it's at!

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my top five
    1. lawn maintenance (strictly mowing)
    2. landscaping maintenance (weeding, pruning)
    3. spring clean up
    4. fall clean up
    5. snow removal

5. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Parking the vehicle and mowing 14 lawns was very profitable. I will be looking for ways to do this more. Power washing worked, but I will be charging more, and I will get into Christmas lights.

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Snow :eek: Snow:D Snow:eek:

7. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

All we do is manicure lawns year around. Just mow more lawn this year. I mow all year around, the only month is slow is February and then i can go fishing. Hey isn't fun working on taxes. You get to add all of the gas you use in one year. I use about $10,000.00 in gas alone. This year i am going up on all of my customers like or not.

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting part time help for landscaping jobs, pay em $8/hr and bill the customer $30/hr.

9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say the most profitable for me is in the spring time doing spring cleanups. I have guys working around the clock edging natural areas, spreading out mulch, spreading pinestraw, cutting back bushes etc... We are going to be starting up here in about 3 weeks! I can't wait.

10. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Christmas lights--yuck. NEVER did get one of those jobs done anywhere close to the time it should have taken--too much discuss, discuss, discuss, and picky, picky, picky. Had one old guy tell me that I needed to go back and turn all the bulbs so they pointed the same direction. Now I run FAST when somebody starts asking if I do Christmas lites.