What works for you?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WALKER LANDSCAPE, Sep 23, 2007.

1. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 6X10 dump trailer need to know what is the best way to frame in a leaf box. I did a search and didnt find any answers to my question. Found some good concepts, but need some more input.
    Thanks in advance.:waving:

2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea of using a box insert rather than building framework off the trailer. This allows you to quickly remove the box if the trailer is needed for something else. Its also quicker to slide a box on than bolt a bunch of framework together.

Scott

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

Scott
    Do you have any pics or links I can check out.
    Thanks in advance.:waving:

4. Leaf Jockey

No pics, sorry. The boxes I have built sat on truck beds. You won't need to build a bottom so that will keep weight down. Consider these when building a box:
    A top hinged gate will keep aligned better than side hinged doors that can settle and be hard to close. If you do a top hinge make sure the bottom of the gate doesn't hit the ground when the box is dumped.
    The roof vent should be near the vac discharge tube. Air needs to keep flowing through the box in order for it to fill. The vent only needs to be about 1/3 or less the size of the roof.
    Its nice to be able to crawl in the top of the box to pack leaves down to get that little extra in if needed.
    The front wall of the box where the discharge hits should be reinforced. Stones and nuts can eat away at the wood or go right through a tarp.(I don't think tarps are a good idea).
    Thats all for now.

Scott

5. WALKER LANDSCAPE

Thanks for the info Scott I will use that info thanks again. :waving:

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Leaf Jockey

Hows the leaf box project coming along?

Scott

8. WALKER LANDSCAPE

Have not even started yet I will post some pics when I do thou. Thanks for the advice I will use alot of what use recommended.:waving:

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Havent started yet?? I have already begun preparations for light clean-ups within the next week, week and a half!!! I cut a few today and there was a good 1 inch layer across the entire lawn on a few of them. So dont procrastinate, it could bite you in the arse!!! lol

Good luck with it Josh and post some pics of the project

10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I've already started small cleanups. I actually did my first one today. Leaf box is on the dump truck and the leaf sucker is ready to go. I used today as a trial run and it went pretty good. The leaves are falling like crazy around here because it's been so dry.