1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What works good to kill Ivy?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by yclawncare, Mar 21, 2014.

1. yclawncare

yclawncare LawnSite Member

I have 2 jobs coming up that require me to kill Ivy. Any recommendations?
  2. vallz

vallz LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Crossbow or Reward work the best for me. Both are really expensive, but they get the job done and ensure what you kill won't come back.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have tried everything

Only thing that works good is a backhoe
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. yclawncare

yclawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I wander if it would be cheaper to get dynamite and blow it up.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Any of your 2,4-D products will control Poison Ivy. 3 way herbicide work the best for me. Be sure to use a good surfactant like MSO to cut past the wax cuticle on the leaf.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Got pictures? Boston ivy? Poison ivy? The kind that covers trees and brick and wooden fences? Ground ivy?
    If its growing upwards--first cut off the main stems: if you separate the roots from the stems no water gets to the top--dead within hours. If it is over 2 inches tall--mow it--that will weaken it in a major way. The roots will sprout--then spray the new sprouts. Spray before the new sprouts get 4 inches tall. Repeat as needed.
    Remember...if its a heavy shade area...there is no sense in trying to grow grass; ivy is at home in such areas.
    If its growing up a house--you can expect damage to the house and siding.
    Repeat spraying--but 2,4-D has a limit of 2 pounds per acre per year or something like that.

Remember also that three way products have dicamba--repeated spraying over the roots of trees may cause damage to the tree by root uptake; read the label carefully.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  7. Northern Turf Man

Northern Turf Man LawnSite Member

BMP's in my area for poison ivy is 1-2qt. of Garlon 4 Ultra and 16oz. NuFilm IR per 100 gallons of water. This is used by all crews for MDOT and works quite well. The NuFilm really helps keep the application in place and allow it to translocate.
  8. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

It was just suggested to me to use Reward in a similar situation. I haven't actually used this product before but it's probably what I'm going to try.