what would be fair?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 10, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, i know alot of you use the "flat monthly rate" billing system for mowing. and for the most part, so do i. well, this one lady signed up in may. she was scheduled for mowing, from the 2nd week of may, thru october. she was charged , for those months, BASED ON what it would cost weekly, totalled up, divided over x amount of months, so the payment was equal each month. the area of the contract that adresses missed cuts, says-" we are not responsible for acts of god, in the event that extreme weather prohibits us from mowing, we may, or may not issue a refund. this decision will be strictly at our discretion." well, she called yesterday. she feels that the missed weeks, were excessive, and wants a refund. she was nice about it. i went back through the log. there were 25 scheduled mows, and only 18 were completed. well, we had severe drought, which caused me to skip, followed by alot of heavy rains, that caused me to skip. i'd say out of the 7 missed mowings, 5 were weather related, and 2 were, kinda like, "hmmmm, work today? or go fishin?......" would you refund any of the missed mows, and if so, how many?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

so if u refund her money arent u just billing by the cut then? and not by contract?

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

no, I would not refund the money. Because ask her, "What happens if I do more than 25 mowings, like 32, should I charge you then?"

I have a flat monthly rate system as well on 12 months. It is based on 24 mowings for the year. This year some customers received 28 mowings because of the wetter than normal year. Am I charging more because of it...no. They got a great deal. I always tell customers that it's a chance that you take. It's a gamble. If there is a drought year, then you probably paid more, but if it is a wet year you saved more. It's a gamble

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well looks like Bobby has got one who is not loony and can keep score too. I believe if she thinks there were too many skips (5) because of weather and the other two you just didn't come by. You need to try and make her happy.

That is if you want to keep her. You already spilled the beans to us -- rather be fishin' or -- on those two days.

You've already made money on 5-cuts that were missed because of weather. Did you catch any fish on your days
    off ? :p

Nosmo

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough call. If she is a good customer who doesn't cause problems otherwise, maybe refund one or two cuts to shut her up.

6. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I would offer to credit her account for the value of her two mowings. When I say her "account" I mean once she re-signs for next season, give her credit off the first payment. Hope it helps,
    Mike

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

nice idea..........

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Somewhere between 1 and 7

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

for my monthly's, my agreement states between 15-21 total mowings. I usually get 4 in may and june, 3 in july, and 2-4 in Aug and Sept. it's never come up but i would probably apply a credit toward future work, fall/spring cleanup or snow removal if I did less than 15 mows because my customers are paying for a certain number of mowings when they make their equal monthly payments.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, since she's nice about it, I would offer her a renewal credit (1 payment) or offer her a credit (1 payment) towards a project or additional services... and if this was not satisfactory I might consider forgiving her of the last payment or refunding it if she has already paid.

Good customers usually accept the choice between the first two options.
    So I would only offer the 3rd option as a last resort and only for a great customer I know I'm going to have again next year.