What would be the best residential driveway setup?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by AB Lawn Care, Oct 5, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I got thinking.What type of truck or jeep..whatever would be the best for doing residential driveways????I am thinking most likely a 3/4 ton with 7-8 foot plow and a rear plow setup.That way you just back in the drive way drive out.Or is there a better setup???What do you think is the best setup for that kind of work?????
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

This was addressed in the past. I think it was last year, and at the old forum URL. I think it was a toss up between a Jeep CJ, and a full size Blazer or Bronco.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

my vote goes with full size blazer w/ front and rear plow
    it will have the weight and capacity to plow all kinds and depths of snow and still be more maneauverable than a regular pickup

you know a shortbed would'nt be so bad either
  4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone is right a smaller wheel base truck would be better than a long for driveways unless they are all long and all you have to do is push straight ahead.
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, Unless a residential drive is long and straight, a short wheel base vehicle is better. I have used short bed pickups,and full size Blazers and Full size trucks.

If its a circular drive, the shorter the Wheel base the better.
  6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I plow drives with 3/4 or 1 ton picks up. Now most of the drives i plow are large, most 250 feet plus. For my condo projects with small drives, skid steers are the way to go.

7. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I did this for my snow shovelers with a junk blazer but if the truck had a decent running gear it would be great. What I did is took off the rusted out body and put a better pickup cab on the frame and built a flat bed on the back. The pickup cab bolted right on and the wheel base is about eight inches shorter.You could mount a rear blade to the frame and be able to see real well,put on some wheel fenders on, some side boxes and a weight right behind the cab,put a plow on front if you wanted.Then dress it up so as not to be mistaken for a scab and go to work.It seems that full size blazers are fairly cheap in an 80's vintage.
  8. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting concept, Why didn't I think of that!

Got any pics, You can email me. I have an idea , just wanna see what yours looks like.

9. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I too would be interested in looking at any pictures,if you have any!One of my clients owns a auto dissmantling yard and I would have no problem finding a cab or anything of that nature!
  10. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ill try and get some pics.