What would be the most suitable applicator?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RyanD, Dec 5, 2005.

1. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to bid on my first weed and feed. I have been doing lawn maintenance but decided to add this service. I am studying this winter for the licensing test in February. With that said, If I get this job, I will need to be set up for it. It is the front berm of a subdivision (1.37 acres). What would be the best way to apply herbicide. Should I go granular at first or purchase a sprayer? Boom sprayer or other? Thanks guys.
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

How much can you afford to spend?
  3. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

Well, seeing that it is the only job I would have where I dispense chemicals, probably not alot initially (under $1000... preferably under $600), but I will be trying to get more of these. I had been looking at "boom" sprayers. I saw some that sit inside of a fert spreader. I have a walker mower and it looks like they sell a boom sprayer that mounts on a mowing deck. These have been the methods I have been looking at.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If you already have a good ZTR mounting a spreader like the Lesco Truckster for under $ 400, would be the way to go for spreading granules.

Tractor Supply sells boom sprayers for ATV that are self contained for right at $ 350. These can be modified easily to fit your ZTR mower. BTW they also come with a wand sprayer for spot treatment.

BTW If you do a search here you will find many pictures of these type of set ups.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I remember my first bid. It was about 3,000 sq ft and the guy just wanted a post emergent put down...wanted to get rid of his dandelions. I have no idea was I was doing, shot him a figure of $65....and I got it...lol. I thought I was living high on the hog that day...lol.

All I had was a pack pack sprayer at the time. He then wanted an estimate for his backyard, around 13,000 sq ft. I went out a bought a Lesco Spreader and a 200 gallon space saver. I didn't have the clients to really warrant a purchase like that, but no regrets. I still use both and would recommend both for starting out. I just couldn't see wasting any time with a small 4 gallon sprayer. I am looking to get the Lesco HPS unit next spring. Just my .02
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if you are planning on doing alot of weed control and fertilizer applications I would get a ride-on spreader/sprayer. I got the permagreen magnium last spring and liked it so much I sold all my spray equiptment. It makes the job alot easier andfaster, also you can blanket or spotspray weeds as needed. if I were just starting out I would go with a ride-on if you can afford it.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you could buy a cab over or two like some are suggesting. But BackPacks come in very handy for those special jobs, I keep several of them on my cab-over just for doing those special jobs. Each one is marked and only used to that special chemical. Example might be Copper Sulfate for fungus on shrubs.

A smart Businessman will keep his equipment cost in line with the usage he has of that equipment. As a start up Fert & Squirt guy don't make the mistake of over buying equipment. Another consideration is the space you have to haul that equipment. If you are just now getting into chemical application then you still need to haul mowing equipment also. My recommendations took these things into account along with your Budget as requested. By making use of your ZTR mower you can have the ease of a Z spray and still afford to buy lunch. BTW a good friend of mine uses a W/B with both the Truckster and a boom sprayer.

Remember K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Smartguy.
  8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a used PG ultra for around $2200, anderson spreader, and a back pack sprayer. this has proved to be a VERY great set up for anything under 3 acers, anything larger and the PG starts to loose the edge. (just kills time riding back to the truck and refilling, but it beats WALKING!!)

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u can do that job with a push spreader to get some money in the door and then get a sprayer to do the weed app
  10. steve's total lawn care

steve's total lawn care LawnSite Member

Well to help you save money and since you first starting out doing this i would go to wal mart and buy a scotts speedy green broadcast spreader for 20.00 bucks. you can spread fertilizer and weed and feed products with it. Then for a sprayer go buy a tow behind for you lawn mower with a 25 gallon tank and a 12 volt electric pump most of these come with 6 ft booms on them you can pick one up at atwoods for around 250.00 bucks you can spray a lot of lawns with this little sprayer about 6 spray apps at 55.00 to 65.00 bucks its done payed for its self. Try that for a while to see how your money situation will be then as your customers grow buy a skid sprayer you can pick up a decent one for about 1500 bucks. STEVE