1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what would be your guestimate on this property?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenman, Mar 7, 2003.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

46,318 sq,ft of turf-flat, no incline, maybe five trees to mow around

2509 ln.ft of edging/trimming

maybe 1/2 hr to blow off hard surfaces

$150 per cut?
  2. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds about right to me.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Am I missing something? 46k sqft. is just a tad over one acre. Your charging $150 to cut and trim one acre?
  4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

excessive edging in this
  5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

;) Ok so you can cut this in say 30Min, then you said blowing would be 30min, so how long will it take to trim or edge this property? So you came up with say 70.00 dollars up till now, If you think the edgeing will take 80.00 dollars in work your price is just about right. I believe onece you trim it, it will go faster than you think, It seems like 150.00 is a awful high.......Try it and see............Marks Mowing Service
  6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

No way can i cut it in 30 min. It's not just one open area. Its an industrial site , that takes up a whole block. Open areas out front and back, but the sides are small with ditch lines to trim. There is alot of sidewalk and curb to edge. A couple buildings to trim around, and fence lines to trim. Probably an hour just to cut. I'll be cutting it with a 36"wb, for now.
  7. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Does it need edged every week? Is this something that could be done bi-weekly at its own seperate cost? ( I am assuming that you are edging the sidewalks;driveway,ect)Maybe is you could itemize the bid a little.
    1. mow & trim weekly or as needed: 75.00
    2. edge sidewalks,ect biweekly or as needed 75.00

Also I sorry that I have to agree with Mark that this is a little high, I am taking in consideration that we are from different parts of the country and Im not sure how your market is, but here in Iowa, thats more than what the going rate is. The competion here is sometimes awesome, there is three pages of lawn services in the yellow pages.
    I guess as an example, I bid on a set of condos last year, 74000sq ft. of mowing, 11 buildings to trim, numerous trees and of course the clean up which is a given and cant really be charged for. I bid it at 210.00 per mowing and didnt get it, I thought that was pretty fair, 2 men 4.5 hrs. The guy told me I was the highest bidder by 80.00.

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Thanks for your response Lawn277. Down here warm season grasses have to be edged on every visit, its Bermuda grass and a few weeds. This account is mine, he already told me that. I've been doing his residence for 3 years now. He's a great customer. Plus he wants it cut on a weekend when no cars are around. That should be a slighty higher price just for that request.
  9. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Greenman, I was typing when your last post was sent. With the new imformation you posted I need to change my opinion. Your bid is not too high.
    Thanks for the added info ,
    I think I would still bid the edging as a seperate cost, and bid the mowing and trimming a little higher, say maybe 85.00-90.00, you will have a couple hrs just in that

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think $150 sounds about right.

We have one that is similar to yours (apartment complex). One guy mows with a 52" WB and 2 guys trim and blow. Takes us about 1 hour (maybe a little more in the Spring).

We get $265 for the job.