What would bobbygedd do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PROCUT1, Oct 27, 2005.

1. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Email from 5 year customer:

I didn't reply to your winter cleanup because your'e pricing is ridiculous. If I read it properly, it says that the minimum amount is $160- (2 guys at 2 hours each at $40- per hour). My yard does not have many trees and it will probably only take 2 guys less than 1 hour each to complete the job. I'm willing to pay $80-. Let me know if that's acceptable. If not, I'll find someone else to do it and maybe they can quote me lawn mowing pricing while they're hear. I understand that some yards require a lot of work, but mine clearly does not. Thanks.

Sincerely,

2. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

HE would say, nope contract says, but now that he has been struck by lightning he would say 1 hour min.

3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

What have you charged them the last 5 years? And how long do YOU think it will take? Why not tell them, "I will charge by the hour, so if it takes 2 man hours, $80, if we arent done by then, i will knock on your door." Bobby would of course FIRE them.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

call them out, the price quoted is the price, good bye
    Bobby would'nt have let out the hourly rate.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i think this is a mistake, just quote the job, they dont need to know your hourly rate....my thoughts

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

what do you think he'd do? he'd be over there cleaning that yard for $80 before you could say silver bullet and give them a complementary customer appreciation day gutter cleaning as well as three months free fert aps and an aeration.

GEO

7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I do

8. PROCUT1

from TN

You are absolutely right. That is the way I have always done it ( by the job)

Unfortunately I have always quoted too low..... I look at a job and figure how long it wil take but somehow it always takes the crew longer than I estimate.

We sold most of the lawnmowing business this year but are offering leaf service during the transition and to new clients this year and I needed a way to avoid having to go out and give estimates because Im no longer involved in this operation all day every day.

The hourly rate makes it more hands off... Yvonne in the office can handle the quotes and sign them right up and its a no lose situation. And I assure you that even at those rates Im not getting rich.. My main concern is to keep the guys busy and pay the bills until we get into my REAL business.....SNOW

9. PROCUT1

from TN

Dennis,

Unfortunately with the cost of gas and almost every one of my other expenses jumping drastically, there is nothing that I can do with the fall clean up price. Right now we are almost to the point of being overbooked and don't have much room left on the fall schedule anyway. The $150.00 minimum even cuts it real tight for us to make it. $80.00 wouldn't even cover the labor and gas.

I understand you're looking for someone cheap to service your property and we cant meet those requirements and still remain in business. After reviewing time-tracking data I have also found that your weekly lawn maintenance service is drastically under priced as well and would surely be set for an increase in the spring.

Ill assume your last e-mail was notice of your cancellation and will inform Yvonne to close your account.

Thank You for your business and I wish you the best in the future.

P.S. This is one of the few lawn clients that we kept.....Until today

10. PROCUT1

from TN

It wasent the main point of the e-mail that irritated me and would fire up Bobby...

It was the statement about if I cant do it he just might have to get someone else to do it and then have them quote the lawn..........

Was I supposed to kiss his feet and beg?

I THINK DFW WOULD APPRECIATE THIS POST...........SEE......ITS NOT ONLY TEXAS