What Would Cause Our Dump to Stop Dumping?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Georgiehopper, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

We have a GMC 4500 with a 12 foot dump bed. The dump runs off of the battery and does not use a PTO. We press the button to dump and all we here are clicks.
    There are no blown fuses that we know of, no visible leaks, and the truck runs fine.

Any suggestions what would make it work one minute and just stop dead the next.

Thanks!

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it not making any noise or what little more detail here.. does it stop 1/2 way up or what..

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If your getting clicks, it could be a loose wire connection. Possibly a bad solenoid.

4. chevydump03

chevydump03 LawnSite Member

Solenoid. Problem is, if yours isn't working, you'll have a hard time getting the bed up. Mine are under the bed on top of the motor/pump. Talk to your upfitter. If you have a good one, they might give you some free advise.

5. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

Check and make sure you have a good ground connection as well.

6. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

You press the button, and all it does is click..nothing else.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd check and clean all the wiring connections first. Never had a problem with my dump bed, but on my motorhome the hydraulic stabilizers have stopped working a couple of times and each time I cleaned the connectors to the battery and it fixed the problem.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like a dirty connection on the selenoid. The best thing to do with that is get rid of it go with PTO hydraulic or go with clutch pump.

Anyhow good luck getting the box up to work on the pump if its under the box :laugh:

9. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Ours did that one time with a full load of roofing on truck, I unloaded the whole dam thing by hand and took it to the dealer. I didn't know at the time but under the hood by our battery we have a little switch that popped for some reason (not the fuse), but flip it back and works fine never had the problem again.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Our dump bed insert did the same thing this year, just clicked. It ended up being the brushes in the motor, they had corrosion on them. The dealer removed them and cleaned and they were good to go.