What would cause this??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cadzilla500, May 3, 2007.

1. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

What would cause this in an otherwise very green yard in Western North Carolina. We just took over this yard this season, and it is not greening up entirely. We put down a light coat of Scott's Turf Builder in March, and the rest of the yard in looking great.

:usflag:

0503071847.jpg

0503071847a.jpg

2. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

I need to know this too, I have the exact same problem in my grandmothers yard where I laid new sod last year, also has had scott's turfbuilder with iron applied to it.

3. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

I don't have a "technical" answer that you're probably in search of, but I wonder if watering it would help at all? Maybe a couple minutes of heavy hose watering in the spot(s) that need attention. It would be worth a shot as far as money is concerned.

4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

That grass is just screaming compaction to me. It looks like the grass that you always run over with the tires of something after a while. Betcha a dollar that core aeration and a little water would solve that. But thats just my 2cents.

5. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Compact.It could be a bug but it dosent look like it.If it's not moving across the lawn then its to compact

6. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

Thanks, we'll aerate it this week. Have to use a push aerator due to the small size and incline of the yard.

7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking over-fertilization

8. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

What type of grass is it?

9. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

over compaction not over fertilizing, a lot of lawns are like that

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member