what would cause this?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by westcoh, Sep 20, 2009.

1. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

I took this picture this spring. Installed the walkway in the fall of last year, and over the winter somehow this happened. Any thoughts on what would've caused something like this?

mls-050.jpg

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

frost heaving

3. billwlod

billwlod LawnSite Member
    from KELOWNA

make sure you dig up all topsoil and 7 inches of clay then build up with crush gravel 6 inches and 1 inch of sand. Pretty crazy though. Kind of a freak thing to happen with pavers. Is there a irrigation line under them?

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thought it was on a pad

5. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

It was built properly. All topsoil removed, geotextile, six inches rd. crush, 1 inch of concrete sand. The part that amazes me is how some of those pavers cracked within a half inch of the edge of the paver. No irrigation lines running under that I'm aware of.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

is it poly sand or mortar gaps? The mortar might not let anything flex at all and is obviously stronger than the pavers.

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with Zedosix on here, he had the samething happen with a couple pavers. He is in Ontario, so it maybe a regional paver supplier issue.

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

tree fall on it or tuck traffic?

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing to do with the pavers, what I am thinking is the poly sand is holding the pavers together so well that the frost is actually cracking the surface. Its happened twice to me now. I follow all guidelines of install and have only just started to see this. Here is a product from Unilock.."brussels"

There is a conduit placed under the walkway which is likely responsible for the heaving as well, but I've never seen brick split down the middle from heaving. This brick took close to one hour to remove btw.

April 20h 2009 034 (Medium) (3).jpg

April 20h 2009 033 (Medium).jpg

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting Pictures.

Ya know, me and another guy were just talking on Friday about call backs for warranty work, only to later discover that the problems were caused by other happenings not related to our workmanship.

Here, in Maryland our ground doesn't really freeze anymore. Maybe the top couple inches may freeze for a few days or so. I do understand that Canada does have deep freezes. If it wasn't the freezing that cause it, like someone else mentioned - I could see a tree limb falling and cracking the pavers. If there are any trees nearby - check to see if they have any places where branches may have snapped or were sawed off.