What Would Happen if You Were Seriously Injured Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jul 16, 2004.

?

Seriously Injured Tomorrow...Sink or Swim ?!?

1. I would be Out of Business

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I would have another LCO or friends or family cover

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I would inform my customers...recover...& salvage what was left

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Emoloyees would cover but it Biz would Suffer

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Wouldn't affect me...I have Enough Qaulity Employees!

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

There seems to be an influx of Solo-Op's this year...what eXactly would happen to your business were you to say Break a Leg tomorrow...

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

It would all depend on the seriousness of the injury. If I could never mow again then I would think about selling my half of the business.
    but if the injury would heal and I could mow again then my partner (my brother) would cover for me.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to hire another employee to work in my place. No big deal, as my partner would continue to run things. And to take it a little further, if I was killed or died we have cross owned life insurance on each other that would pretty well set the other one and our families financially well off.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Left of right leg?

If its my right id still be cutting I would just need to let one of my men do the driving.

If it was my left Id still be cutting and doing the driving I doubt I would miss more then a day either.

Now to me a serious injury is cutting and arm off and I'll plan that only after such a event happens.

5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

My brother would take over, I'd do all the billing/paperwork/planning/client calls. We would hire a temp full time employee for the 6 to 8 weeks.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

There is a few of owner operators were I am. We all help each other out. You never know what could happen to you. We had one guy get hurt helping his brother at the family farm. We each of us split up his account. Took out expenses (gas, only) and gave the rest to his wife so she could put food on the table. There will be a time someday that he will return the favor if someone else got hurt.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of the major drawback of being a Solo. Makes me glad I am not. One less thing to worry about. If I were injured I would draw a fat workman's comp. check and let the crew keep doing their thing.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

probably be in the hospital on heavy duty drugs not giving a crap about business

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Obviously if I got hurt, Matt would carry on like nothing happened.. lol
    If Matt got hurt, that would be a different story. I would have to hire quick, and play the role as supervisor until Matt could get back on feet. Only the strong will survivor.

10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh you are so wrong about only missing a day. When i did it two years ago i was able to hobble around two days after, but then surgery three days after that...that puts you out of commission for at least another week. Dont forget about the two remaining surgeries after that...One about 4 weeks later and another 2 months later in my case. I broke my leg/ankle (two spots) on august 11th and FINALLY was able to walk first part of Feb. NOW, dont forget that you havnt walked on this leg in 5 months so you have no muscle. It took about 1 more month to be able to WALK (no gimp or pain) on the leg completely. Now two years later running is still PAINFUL!!!

Trevor