1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would make you HAPPY in this Biz???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Jan 15, 2003.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Yep I am asking you.

Have you ever just sat and tried to think what would make you happy in this business? Seriously think about what you would like to wake up to every morning assuming that you stay in the lawn and landscape business. Is it the obvious new truck or 31hp ZTR and enclosed lettered trailer? Mayby its running 3 crews that actually are profitable? Mayby its something smaller like learning to account for your money or learning the business end of this. I am sure it is more than one thing.

Sit down and make a list from the obscure and seemingly unattainable to the goals that are possible if you just work a little at reaching them, you may be surprised. When it is busy in the spring and summer it is easy to lose focus on what makes you enjoy your work so this is the perfect time to sit and put it on paper.
    Do it. Then prioritize it and go after some of the stuff that you want.

I know there are members here that are TRULY happy with what they are doing and excited about what is to come. There are some very successful people in this community of 5000+ members. What makes you happy?

If you are just working to get by you may be happy with that but ask yourself What if...???
  2. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

100 % customer satisfaction
    I sent a bill the other day to client and he sent back the full amount plus 15%...

When I drove away from a large upscale property that I had just done a leaf clean-up on, the property owner called me on my cell and thanked me again for a great job.

I provided a list of references to a future prospect when he awarded me the contract, he said that one of the references that I provided was a colleague of his and that he put a lot of stock in what he said, and if I could work for him and keep him as satisfied as he said he was I definately could work for him.:D
  3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

For a long time it seemed I was always wishing or hoping for more than what I had. I'm finally to a point in my business where I feel comfortable with almost every thing that has been accomplished through my previous short and long term goals.

It seems I'm at a point where getting larger and running more crews is not that important to me. Rather molding by company to draw in more customers that need, want and are willing to pay for the highest quality service.

What makes me happy is driving by one of our customer’s properties and saying to myself, this place looks great.
  4. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Hmmmm, let's see.

1) no dew early in the mornings
    2) no wind when doing leaves
    3) all invoices paid on or before time
    4) no scrubs
    5) no temps about 90 degrees
    6) no flat tires on the front of my choppers!!!!!!!!!!!
    7) low humidity in the summer
    8) .99 gallon gas
    9) a computer that would not "lock up"
    10) a printer that never runs out of ink while printing invoices

Not too much to ask is it?

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahh, yes........... happiness

Happiness is not a destination.

Happiness is a means of traveling.

Real happiness comes from within, can't be attained from possessions, locations, or other outside influences. Forrest Gump was happy, wherever he was and whatever he had.
  6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

i have some things that would make me happy with my business, but it's just not worth the $$$ it would take, since i'm just leaving for college in 2 years anyway.
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, that is exactly what i was thinking. Im glad you brought that up. It is so true. Enjoy everything that you are doing, you can only have that moment once.
  8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

forrest gump:laugh:

it would be pretty hard for me to not be happy, as long as i could provide for myself (and one day a family).

but from a strict business sense myself and my biz partner want to build a company large enough for us to never have to don the steel toes. work on, not in the biz.

thats the goal, but i wouldn't say i won't be happy unless i achieve that.

of course a Stanley Cup would also make me quite happy...
  9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I can be happy without running across the whole country.......:D

Seriously, for me to be happy, knowing my buisiness provides for me, my wife and most importanty my little girl.

Seeing her grow up not needing food or water or clothes or housing and being the most happy child ever is enough for me.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

amen brother. hey, i thought it didnt get cold in tenn? i watched the titans the other day, it looked cold there