1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would one do with this bush?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JeffNY, Jun 9, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

guy says "trim that so it looks nice". Another thing, that brick on the left, theres a big section of it on the other side, and it has weeds coming up through the cracks, im talkin just tiny green peeking through, I wanted to suggest something to clean that up. Ideas?

2. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Looks like arbovitae to me. Down here, when I see them like that, I'll usually see them 6 months later completely dead. Not sure about NY though. Someone suggested to me that it's spider mites. Anyone????
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Might of gotten some winter damage, either from the cold and snow or salt damage.

Around here we have problems with bag worms killing arbs, but usually you see the damage in late summer/fall, and it's usually a darker brown color and throughout the whole tree.

You might be able to just cut out the dead section. It would take a couple of seasons to fill back in though.

Honestly, it's not that big, so you might want to just replace it.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

looks like it got too wet, it's a goner, it won't come back from the brown, rip it our and replace. you can trim it but it'll always have that hole in it
  5. somebodys dog has been on one side of it.
  6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

put it in the trash.
  7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Replace it- try something different unless there is one on the other side too- Roundup the weeds in the bricks.
  8. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

theres about 8 of them all together right there.
    And should I spray the whole brick area or just try to spray in the cracks? That'd take a while.
  9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

depends on what herbicide you are using. if it's systemic, then just spray on the weeds. if its a pre emergent, then spray everywhere.
  10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with White Gardens. If I had to bet, I'd put my money on that being snow damage. Have you checked to see if the branches are cracked down inside that shrub?

That is about the cheapest shrub you can buy. It should cost about $20 wholesale for one that size. How much would it cost to have you drive out there and trim it into a green shrub with a chunk taken out of it?

Also, if you have to ask how to use RoundUp, you are obviously not licensed to use it, so you should not be using it or any other herbicide or pesticide. I don't see any weeds in the bricks anyway.