What would ou charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clay Trussell, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Clay Trussell

Clay Trussell LawnSite Member

My best costamer has asked me quote a price to clear a lot behind her house. The lot is between 1/3 & 1/2 acre in size. a tornado came through about 3 years ago and knocked down around 10 large trees. Another contractor (scrub) started to do the clean up but decided to quit and left the trees down on the ground (cut up). Vines and brush have sence taken over, the place looks like a thick jungle. I am planning to hire 3 laborers, rent a forty qubic yard dumpster, chipper to mulch most of the stuff and bring in a small dozzer to move every thing where I want it. I think I can get the place into shape in about five days.
    I quoted her $10,800. This does not include replanting or grading of any kind. Is this a good price????

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

For jobs like this [where it's impossible to tell how long it would really take to complete] we charge a By-The-Day rate.

You'll have to figure out how much that rate is for you to make a good profit. For us, I will provide one of our 3-man crews for one day for $950-$1000 per day. They can get a LOT done in one day. They are very hard workers. This price includes minor things like spraying, minor tools like mowers, trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc. and also includes as many truckloads of debris as we can haul away in that day (we pay one flat fee for dumping each month so 2 truckloads hauled away in one day the same cost as 20 as far as we are concerned).

Then we let people choose how many days they want our crew for. They can choose after a few days, after they see how much headway is being made. Or they can choose up front. But I just explain that something like this is hard to estimate and we'll just have to doiit on a By-The-Day basis. I land 90% of the jobs we bid like this because most companies are too inexperienced in bidding and will either overbid the job or won't return a bid because they can't figure out what to charge.