1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What Would the Charge Be?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Landscape Poet, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

You mean the Palms in the 2nd. picture?

I didn't think the HT131 would extend to more 11', plus 6' for height = 17' max; those trees go to about 35'. What you do, just take off the dead stuff near the bottom?

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Jvan that other photo was from a previous much debated thread. Those were way too tall for a ladder or ground attack.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

Not true. Hire a real tree guy and let him use ropes to climb.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Patriot Services

Can you elaborate please? How exactly do you use ropes on trees with a smooth trunk and no branches to throw a line over?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Patriot

Certain types of rope when tied right can used on you feet like climbing spurs. Manila Rope works best. I can't really explain marlinespike etc here, it is an art unto it's self.

In Edit

The rope is used as a slip Knot that grabs the tree or the smooth steel Flag pole etc. Going up is the easy part. Coming Down can be tricky.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Patriot

Maybe a better explaination is you have two Slip Knots that go around the tree trunk, one in each hand. The left one is attached to a loop for your left foot and Right One Etc. You left hand moves the rope up the tree as your foot comes up at the same time. Then you put weight on the slip knot with your foot until it grabs the Tree and you climb up and do the same with your right hand. You should also have a safety belt from your waist to around the tree allowing you to lead back and work with both hands.

Getting up there can be the easy part. Doing the work can be an other story. No everyone can hang by their butt while starting and running a chain saw. Coming down is or can be very dangerous just like regular Tree Spikes which require more energy to come down the tree safety than going up.

Ya'll might want to consider my earlier post about less labor to remove the tree than to trim it correctly. It was a tongue in cheek post to see if anyone would pick up on removing the tree like it should be. Fact is these tree can be a real danger in a hurricane. I love trees but I sure don't need a 80 to 100 footer dropping on me or my house. These tree are excellent Habitat for all kinds of rats and bugs even more so than other palms because of all the Vegetation Debris hanging on it.

Sure the first few years these trees grow fast and add height quickly to you landscape design. But if your design is to stand the test of time don't use Washington Palms.

7. RoyalTree

You set a climbing line over the top and climb up on the rope, not the palm. I highly recomend you never try going up tje trunk of a very dirty washingtonian as the skirt can dislodge and fall and trap you against the tree. There had been many fatalities where people suffocate from the skirt while spiking up.

Look up srt climbing palm on youtube to get an idea on how to do it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

Looks like a workout and a half. You don't learn those skills overnight. Hats off to you guys that do that on a regular basis.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Ah, I C. So the shorter ones then. Now I understand.

Not sure about using rope to climb palms, specially with a chain saw.

10. RoyalTree

Its not for most people. Each job requieres a certain set of skills and equipment to be done properly.

Each company should focus on doing what is in their abilitied and not be a jack of all trades.
    Posted via Mobile Device