What would u do if you could do it all over again?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Jun 15, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Granted I am young (22), but was wondering what some of you older, more experienced members would have done differently, if you had an opportunity to start again in this business at a young age. Would you concentrate on certain areas of business (landscaping, installs, pesticide applications etc?) I now realize that lawnmowing seems to be the least profitable side of the business, but it has taken me 2 years to figure it out.

2. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

This question was asked a few weeks ago. At 22, you have your whole adult life ahead of you. Ask yourself what you are good at doing, what you enjoy doing, what brings in the most money, and if there is a large enough market to meet your desires. You may have to incorporate several different services. The good thing about mowing is that you know you have work all season long, but the trade off, as you stated, is that it is not the most profitable service out there. I would stay away from providing too many services. There are groups around here that just offer one landscape service. Be it mulch, sod, annual colors, aerations or whatever. Maybe what you can do is determine what service you enjoy doing, then market it. If you like installing mulch, print up flyers on mulch, and go door to door in the nice neighborhoods. If you have success with these fliers, you can maybe drop down to 3 days mowing, 3 days mulch. Each year you can pass out more and more fliers and keep a list of former customers to call and sell again until you have a 6 day a week mulch install company. Note--you can replace the mulch service with any service you enjoy, sod, window washing,..etc. So basically find your niche, and try to market it differently than your competitors.

3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

If I had to do it over again I would have gotten serious about my business sooner. For several years I did it part time while searching for that one big get rich scheme while all along I had a perfectly viable and profitable business that just needed focus and determination. This line of work is not the most profitable. I know I could make double what I make now sitting at a desk, but that is prison to me. If this is true for you as well then dedicate yourself to making your business grow and it will take on a life of its own and you will go along for the ride. Have fun!

4. Go to law school and pass the bar exam.

5. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Buy Microsoft @ $10 share.

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked for a company called "Sound of Music" it changed its name and went public as "Best Buy", If I had invested $1000 back then into BBC, Id be RICH! Instead I got fired.

I wish I would have started earlier also. It can take some people their whole life to find a niche that they fit into. It would have been nice to have started with the equipment I now have, but I can appreciate the work the equipment is saving me alot more.

7. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME. THIS IS MY ALMOST MY 20 TH SEASON. AND I WOULD NOT CHANGE A THING.I AM BLESSED TO HAVE BOTH MY DREAMS COME TRUE. I STARTED OUT VERY YOUNG AND WING IT. WORKING FULLTIME AT IT . BUT I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A POLICE OFFICER TOO.GOD HAS BLESSED ME SO MUCH. I HAVE BEEN A FULLTIME POLICE OFFICER FOR 11 YEARS .I ALSO RUN MY LAWM MAINT./SNOWPLWING PART TIME. I GUESS IT IN MY BLOOD. FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS AND MOST IMPORTANT TREAT PEOPLE RIGHT.. WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND IS SO TRUE.IF YOU HAVE FAITH GOD WILL REWARD YOU. IM NOT TRYING TO PREACH. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST .. GOOD LUCK .....

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I know my lesson that I learned the hard way after my first couple of years in business was that it would have been cheaper buying new commercial grade equipment from the start. It also would have kept me from a lot of down time I could have spent on mor profitable ventures than repairing my old mowers!

Good Luck!