what would u do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 19, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, once again, im in a fine pickle. customer is on a monthly payment arrangement, 10 equal payments due no later than the first of each month. lawn looks beautiful till heat wave hits, then in mid july, it looks awful. never recieved payment due aug 1st. customer calls on aug 8th, and says he thinks he has grubs, ansd also requests a cleanup(branches, debris, etc from thunderstorm) . i go on vacation, send guys over to do cleanup and cut lawn. i get back today(aug 19), and go over to customers house to check for grubs, i find a few very small grubs, cant be more than a week old, and not enough to do damage. lawn is hammered, customer does not water, temps here around 100 for about 2 months. go to p.o. box only to find customer never sent payment which was due aug 1st. my contract states if payment is not sent on time, i have a right to cancel service. i have a feeling this guy is withholding payment because he expects me to repair the lawn, for free. he insists its grub damage, i insist its drought damage. every year he doesnt water, and the same thing happens, only this year its worse, cus the weather is the worst ive seen . advice please. im about to tell this guy go screw, i like the account, but im not fixing this lawn for free.

2. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Set up a meeting with him and discuss the problems with the lawn. Show him the difference between grub damage and drought damage. Offer a grub treatment for cost of materials if that makes him feel better and then require all past payments due. Let him know that this is no fault of yours and you are not responible for acts of nature. Educate him on proper watering techniques and then tell him thank you for your continued business.:D

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Grab some written material on grub damage that explains the signs, like the grass being able to be pulled right up without stems and rhyzomes sticking, and such. Show him, in various areas of his yard, the type of damage, and let him know this is not the type of damage he has. Explain to him that even though he has a few grubs, they do not feed yet in this young of a stage of this tri-mester, and when they do feed, that he may not even have enough to do enough damage to be known as a "threshold" level. In other words, enough to warrant use of pesticide(s). Also, let him know that becausewe've had such an unusually HOT season, though grass can go into a somewhat protective state by going into dormancy, if it is left dry for that long, (or not enough water) and the temps are that hot, it will burn up, and though some will come back, much of it will not. Every living thing on this planet requires water to survive. EVERYthing! Let him know that without water, this can be expected with ANY type of vegetation. Let him know these areas can be repaired, (sliceseeded) and in two weeks, he'll have new vegetation there. Don't wait long to do it, as he will have a bad looking lawn in the meantime. Whatever you do, DO NOT offer any free remedies, or treatments "at cost" under no circumstances! If you do this, you are opening up and admitting to a fault that isn't even yours. You are also opening a door for this customer to want "bartering leverage" in the future if he thinks he can get it. Just assure him, that places without irrigation, and several places that didn't water altogether, are in the same boat as he is. Tell him to look at other places around town.

4. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

another thing to do, is take him to where his a/c is for the house......look at the drain pipe coming out for condensation or whereever it is and see if grass is not greener..........only place around here that has green grass unless they watering....lol........this will make a valid point in ur expressing the need to water

under no circumstances, after talking with him, do not offer free services, only opens door to trouble

i had lawns that were beautiful this winter and spring , but as soon as the rain quit coming and the heat set in, i was screwed and so was the lawns(seeing as to how most of them have no irrigation and also the water restricton rules are in effect)