What would you bid?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenDragonLandscapes, Jul 7, 2006.

1. GreenDragonLandscapes

GreenDragonLandscapes LawnSite Member

Hi all,
    I would like to hear what you would bid on the following.
    Weekly mowing (mow, trim, blow) for 15 rental houses (same owner), all in the same block. 1/8 Acre yards, flat, no obstacles. I don't know yet if they are all adjacent or not, but all in the same block (drive once, do all properties, save on fuel, windshield time etc.) Properties are about 15-20 min drive from my home base.
    If there are any assumptions I forgot, let me know and I'll post them.
    Thanks for the help,
    ET

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

assuming no crazy amount of weedeating, etc., i'd probably be around $450.00 assuming i could use the z. if they have gated back yards that i had to push mow, price would increase. you should easily be able to do them in a day solo.

if i was hurting for work, maybe $375, but no lower.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What would you charge for 1 of them -- I would be very close to 15 times that.

4. Brendan Smith

???

depending on the amount of trimming, etc, i'm thinking LOW end $25.00 each, high end $40.00 each. we're only talking about 1/8 acre lots. you'd be @ $6750.00 if i read your post correctly? *newusflag* get some!!! mooresville must have a way higher per-capita income than here!

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You mis read my post-- I asked what Green would charge for one lot (lets say 35) and that he should still be close to 15 times that (or $525) figure in the close proximity of the lots you may cut back a little but no more than 5% so maybe around $495 - Thats just an example--

Now if I could work at $6750 for those jobs I would be retired already!!:)

6. Brendan Smith

oh, sorry. *trucewhiteflag*

7. GreenDragonLandscapes

GreenDragonLandscapes LawnSite Member

That's what I thought. $35 each x 15 = $525 and as PMLAWN said, give the guy a 5% discount due to the proximity of the houses. I still have to go see them to see if I need to adjust the price. I'm also going to try to upsell Fert, dethatch, aerate, mulch and cleanups. Then roll everything into a yearly package (contract).
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks for the replies,
    ET

8. Brendan Smith

best of luck to ya!!

9. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a really good plan just remember no numbers over the phone until you see the places.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That has to be the best advice I've heard, you definitely want to walk all around those lots and check it all out... Make sure, for example, there isn't a garbage collection in the back of some, stuff like that, just look out for pita factor and bs.

Anyway, I'd add them all into ONE big lot, 1/8 acre x 15 = 2 acres but some more maneuvering and xtra-xtra-xtra weedeating, so... hmmm... Make it $10 to weedeat each, so 10 x 15 = 150 +
    Cost of 2 acre lot cut + trim @ $60 / acre = $120

And like I learned this year if it's on a contract, these figures need to be doubled, so $530.00
    If it's not on a written contract, I'd do it for 300 / cut in a NY minute (AFTER you go look lol).
    Yeah, 15 x 20 is sweet so long it ain't in writing or another way to say it is, there is NO association.
    Of course, the renters might complain... You know what? 600.00