what would you bid?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by thesargent, Jul 13, 2006.

1. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

weed eat and spray 320 square feet.
    lay 320 square feet of weed barrier fabric.
    rake out and haul away old bark mulch/hair about a 680 square foot area already with weed fabric.
    cut 6-8 limbs off an alder tree no more than 12 feet up, haul away, same load as old mulch.
    have 9 yards of pea gravel delivered, and spread it in the above mentioned areas 3 inches deep.
    the gravel can be dumped nearly in the spot that it needs spread. the total area of the spot is 1000 square feet.
    the gravel is 250.00 delivered
    i estimated mine and my wifes labor at 600.00
    i figured 50 dollars an hour x 11 hours, not that i think it will take all eleven hours, but i wanted to be safe.
    my bid for the whole job will be 850.00.
    the dump site is 15 min. one way.
    so, what would you bid? i know its different for all areas. but im curious if this sounds fair. i think its very reasonable. thanks

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Nope way too cheap. Try again on the labor charges. Things may seem easy and they are not. 30 min round trip dump.When you pull up that area with the landfab already under it your gonna run into problems. You'll also have to rake the weedwacked weeds outa there and remove debri. I am not gonna tell you what I would charge but your better off not doing an hourly rate on work like this. So your 50 x 11 is 550.00 your addition is wrong already. In addition thats two peoples labor you need to be charging for not one.

3. thesargent

oops, my bad on the addition. i was thinking 30.00 an hour for me and 20.00 for my wife=50.00 an hour. someone tell me please what you would bid for this job in your area. am i leaving anything out. thanks again for the help.

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Man hours should be the same. That is if $30 per manhour actually covers your cost of doing business and provides a profit, then $30 per hour is what ALL manhours would be billed to the customer.

Two things: Sheshovel is 100% right on, you are way to low both on the $ amount and very likely the time amount. I seriously doubt $30 per manhour would actually cover your cost of doing business provided you are legitimate

5. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

My labor is $48.00/hr and any help I have wife or otherwise is $15.00.
    11hr @ 63/hr = $693 + $250 (material) + $50.00 (hauling fee) = $993
    I always charge a hauling fee.

6. thesargent

thanks alot for the advice. yes i am legit. i have the licensing i need and pay all taxes. who else thinks im to low. thanks again for the help. i already have the weed barrier fabric. it was given to me. i like the idea of a hauling fee.

7. thesargent

apperantly, i must be to low for everyone. thanks again for your help

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

WAY low............

9. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i agree with the others on being low on the bid...also lose the landscape fabric!!!!

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

haul in loader and spread stone and use it to load trucks. Use machine not muscles as much as possable. $1700 or let someone else do it. $1500 with out the fabric and that guarentees that someone will need to come back and do a weed prevention.