what would you bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianj, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i have a field of about 13 acres to move and weed eat around the fence of the 13 acres. the mowing is pretty tough terrian, alot valleys and stuff, it is bahia grass and has to be mowed every 6 weeks in the summer. i have 52 inch toro with a 30hp kolher and if i get this i would also get another 52 toro with the 23hp deisel kubota cause toro has them on special for no interest for 36 months. what would you bid per cut. I was thinking around $2000.00 per cut.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You're way too high and from the sounds of it you need a rough / brush cutter and not a finish mower for this job, if perhaps the area around the house you can use the finish mower and it's not to say I've never taken the Toro into the woods but as a rule I don't take finish mowers into acres of rocks and sticks.

For that size area with a brush cutter I think there are some who normally bid $20-$25 / acre so 400 dollars at the most.

p.s.: are you sure it's 13 acres, or is that what they told you? because you need to be sure and from the 'every 6 weeks' sound of things, it appears someone is about to get over on you but then again with your 2k bid you probably can't go wrong.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

dude thats like $150/acre thats nuts we do about $40-$50/acre for feild mowing and $60/acre for clean cutting and seems reasonable to me
  4. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

this is an enviromental cleanup site, i already have a project with them on another site that was about 6 acres and i got 1150 per cut on it doing it 4 times a year... a bushog would not do there are to many monotoring wells and gas lines that could be hit. by the way that 6 acre project, about 3 acres of it was was path cutting to monotoring wells that were in the woods and the toro did just fine
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I bet somebody does it for 1/5 of that absurd price :laugh: :laugh:
  6. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

you think so huh, well im the only bidder, we just have to agree on the price, like i said , i already got one site for them, for 1150 and it only took me and 1 helper about 5 and half hours to do.
  7. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

What ever you choose... I say go with a different price... $2000 is a flat price, figure something up without rounding it and be able to explain the costs if asked.... Yes even numbers are easy to work with but customers tend to go with something thats looks more thought out... over just a flat number.

All Clear
  8. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

I placed a bid on an epa site same thing they need it cut and cleaned up for inspection of injection heads.
    Nobody will touch this place and out of the mans mouth he says "we have made millions off of this job so don't short yourself.
    You are not cutting someones pasture,you have to be very careful when bidding these and not be affraid to bid high.
    We placed a clause in our contracts that they have to sign off on stating that it is no longer an epa site.
    Also we state clearly, we will only be cutting grass for inspection purposes only, no excavation, grading or removal of material from the site. You must be very careful working enviromental sites, because you are expendable.
  9. Mokenwee

Mokenwee LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

You better do some checking up on Prevailing Wage if it's a D.O.E. site. Your contractor/client might have his hands in your pockets. If their's monitoring wells and manholes, most sites require a 20 or 40 hour hazwoper class to even be on site. That's a grand right there. I'm sure the client is not going to pay for the drill team to come out and set another test well if you happen to clip one. apx. $3,500 per well. The E.P.A. frowns on grass clippings in groundwater test wells.Ton's of small print and watch the red tape. Bid it down to spark arrestors, spill proof gas cans, and safety glasses. You might want to think about upping your bid. Somewhere in that fine$ print is a budget.

Not enough info about your job site to even thinking about doing a bid. If it's U.S. gov. land, (most epa clean up sites are) their is a reason you are the only one that is bidding. Smart lawn jockeys try to keep out of the watchful eye of Uncle Sam.

I'll bag 13 acres with a Toro 22" for $2000. That number is too round and far off for me to get on the same page. Private land that is.

I would charge $546 to cut the 13.

U.S. Government Land.
    You're going to spend more then $2,000
    If you can get your client to pay for it. Most drawn up plans get approved.
    -40 hour class $899
    -PPE (personal protective equipment) $depends on what kind of clean up site? you need a nuke suite? $250 lets say
    -Site survey contractor to stick wells and hazards $483
    -Flame arrested muffler $148
    -OSHA Spill proof gas can $90
    -etc etc etc on site plans, safety plans,operation plans and ppe to keep my nuts safe from what ever hazardous waste i'm sittin on.

$6,452 CASH!!!
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

$2000 a cut you are making a killing i like it