What would you charge for a 46 acre property?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by NYLawns, Apr 20, 2012.

1. NYLawns

NYLawns LawnSite Member

It's 46 acres but not all grass. I'd say maybe 20 is grass.
  2. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

If you are unsure about such a large area, then I would suggest you offer an hourly rate to the customer and tell them you need to cut it one time to see how long it really takes. I do not cut grass anymore, but when I did it was charged hourly all the time. That way whether it was spring (high and wet) or summer (short and dry), or whether a customer wanted perfection for a party, they always paid exactly for what they received.

Of course, this works best for 1-crew companies. Otherwise some customer is always going to accuse one crew of moving slower than another and complain about the price being higher!
  3. NYLawns

NYLawns LawnSite Member

Smart, I think that's what I should do but also customers sometimes want specific prices in mind. They like to plan their budgets accurately especially if you're cutting weekly or bi-weekly. I will probably offer an hourly rate of $60 and say 6 hours.
  4. KYMan

KYMan LawnSite Member

I cut a 10 acre yard a couple weeks ago and wanted 225-250 for it. He said he could only pay $200 (and I believed him after seeing his old broken down trailer). I told him I'd do it once for $200 to see how long it would take. He said it took him 5-6 hrs on a 60" zero turn. I don't know what mower he used though. I knocked it out in 3 hrs and 20 minutes on the nose...dollar a minute. No weed eating involved. Being a new yard and not knowing what obstacles were in my path, I admit I was going a bit too fast. But it looked good when I was done. On about a 400 yard long downhill run, I was smacking the gas tanks like it was a horse yelling "andole, andole, yee haa" like Speedy Gonzales :laugh:. Hey...it broke up the monotony.