What would you charge? Large Gov'tal Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by emil35, Apr 17, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Hello:

I have a bid coming up fast that is for a gov't related group and therefore is going to given to the low bidder. I can't decide what to charge. On the one hand it's nice to have regular work that you just o and do, but on the other hand, you can't do it for nothing. It's a total of about 40 sites, anywhere from .25 acres to 5+ acres per site with a total of about 50 acres. Weekly service is basic lawn care. Would you go with 2 man crew or 3? What would you charge? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Figure out how much time it will take you to do it all every week and multiply it by your cost per hour to do it and add a percentage that is good to you for profit.

As far as if you should use a 2 or 3 man crew, figure it both ways to see which works out better in the end.

3. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

By cost per hour to do the work, you mean my overhead costs, correct?

4. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Exactly, then add a percentage over that for profit

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Your normal charge plus 25 to 50 percent. Government work is more expensive to do. Low bid this and it will cost you more than think. Will it keep you from doing work at your normal charges?

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Normal prices + 50% and you can kiss that bid goodbye.

7. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of around 25% add on, with the best/lowest price I can go and still be making something doing it. I do mowing more or less or cover overhead since in my area no one really wants to pay for it. I make most of my money doing the side jobs like aeration, mulching, etc. And no, this job wouldn't take up all my time. It would still allow me to do other jobs.

8. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a government job and has been out to bid before, you can request a copy of the last winning bid.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Why would it be more expensive to do???

UNLESS, it's Fed. work and you have to match whatever that wage book is that they hand out....

Grass is grass, the fed's grass isn't any harder to cut than the neighbor's grass.

Only thing is, is how long to get paid.

If you're given a 60 page book as a bid sheet, I'd walk.

If it's local government work, bid your regular charges. You'll still get underbid.