What would you charge to bush-hog 15 acres?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

What would you charge for this? Bush-hogging/brush-hogging/rotary cutting/heavy mowing. It is a 15 acre tract hay field that needs to be mowed before the hay starts growing so the crop will be more pure. Tall grass only, no woody stuff. . .pretty much the ideal property as far as wear and tear on equipment goes. In ideal conditions (not muddy, no extra heavy stuff to cut, no steep hills. . .just sitting on the tractor and mowing), what would you charge?

Also, its a one-time cut. I'd usually give a lower price if the work will be on-going but on one-timers I usually go a little higher.

Your thoughts, please on what you would charge and how you come up with your rates. Thanks!

2. $375.00 sounds like a good number.

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Jobs yours then. Are you kidding me 15 acres for 375 bucks?!?

I wouldn't touch it for less then a grand. More like 1,500. If I'm cutting lawns for 50-100 acre I'm not mowing a hay field for less.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. its only two hours of work.

5. Grass Wackerz

Grass Wackerz LawnSite Member

$75 an acre

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say that go for $300 unless you have to trailer it there then adjust accordingly. Depending on size of tractor this could be done in 3 hours or less.

7. blowerman

blowerman LawnSite Member

I'd agree, if you are into field mowing it's only 2 hrs. For guys that can't mow with any speed, don't bid this type of work or you'll price yourself out of the job. I could cut this with my 15ft. batwing 2615L in all of 1.5 hrs.
    This isn't something you show up with the 60" 3pt. hitch mower.

8. Pecker

I should mention I would be mowing with my compact tractor with 48" 3 pt. finish mower or 48" bush hog. You can beat up a ZTR pretty quick mowing this tall stuff. That said, it will definitely take alot longer to mow with the tractor. Thanks for the replies so far, keep it coming!

9. Pecker

Blowerman, what would you charge for a 1.5 hour job with your batwing?

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

If that biggest thing I had I wouldn t even think about bidding on that size of job

I have 15' bat wing Tractor 7740FWD Ford take me 2 hours at $175 per hr

Good luck on getting the Job at the price you said. If you get it , contact a farm to do it for 300 and keep rest as a good profit