1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What would you charge to install 60 bales of pine straw.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by gulfjoe, Sep 25, 2013.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I am curious if I am over charging for pinestraw installation. I had a lady contact me and asked if I could give her a quote on pinestraw. I went to her house which is in my neighborhood and was somewhat surprised with the amount of pinestraw she was going to need being that we have pretty small lots. I am guessing she did not have half of her back yard sodded when built and decided to lay pine straw instead. Anyways I measured and used one of my handy pinestraw calculators and came up to 60 bales of straw needed. My rate is $5.00 a bale and a $50 installation fee for a grand total of $350. Am I asking to much? or not enough...

Your input will be appreciated.

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on your markup on the straw, but $50 doesn't sound like anywhere near enough for 60 bales.

3. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

When you give the quote, make sure you say labor and materials included $$$. Don't want to back pedal when they tell you they have already got the pine straw being delivered.

4. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Its about $1.60 a bale. If I want to drive a further I can get it cheaper but I think I will just spending more in fuel than I would be saving in straw...

This job is 1 street over fom my house and 1.5 miles away from my straw distributor also.

I told them it was $350 installed. When Isay that it included everything...

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be at $420 for 60 bales. $7.00 a bale

6. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

6.50 a bail here, but we sub it out. We don't have time to fool with it and can make more money by making a phone call
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. shadetreelawns

shadetreelawns LawnSite Member

I pay 4.25 a bale, and install it for 8.00. I would be at $480.00 to install 60 bales.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

No money in it around me. Pine Straw companies drive around the suburbs with hundreds of bales going door to door on a regular basis. Anywhere from 3.10-4.75 installed and are extremely quick.

9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

5.50 per bale here for me. Don't do much as door knockers do for $3.5 - 4 per bale... scam as they only put out about half of what they say they do.

10. Jallal

Jallal LawnSite Member
    from SoCal

Pine straw is the most vile thing on the face of the earth. I had my supplier spread it & tacked on a slight markup - I HATED that stuff.

$7-8 per bale, depending on the type.